Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Shocking damage in Houston. Wow! Glad y'all are okay!
Me too! It's still a leading story on Houston news channels. Really devastating damage in so many places.

Whoop! I called my "never fail" (but also last resort) goat buyer. He will come by tomorrow and take 9 goats offa my feed bill! Yay! I'm keeping one buckling to replace his dad which was the old buck I lost earlier this year. He's really a nice little guy too.

I had originally picked 4 keeper doelings, but sold one of them yesterday, lol. She's gorgeous but staying a little smaller than I would like. I think that leaves about 5 more doelings to move. I really should count them, lol.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ohhhhh....counting gets you in trouble! :lol: stop that!!!

I have a dairy X boer buckling that is SO boer looking. I'm torn between sell or freezer. :rolleyes: he's really filled out -- a single on a dairy moms milk! I can hear castration screams now but, nice red meat source. Since I was fortunate to have few bucklings this year, there's the hay $$ considerations.....always. So a few girls will be sold. :idunno

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ohhhhh....counting gets you in trouble! :lol: stop that!!!
It really does, doesn't it!?! I'll be able to tell at a glance without resorting to counting by just looking at their heads. I deliberately didn't disbud all the gals. It kind of makes that decision for me. If they have horns - they gotta go.

I plan on running some goats on pasture this year. Shame on the ones that have lots of parasite issues. I love my Nubian gals for their milk-abilities, but they have zero parasite resistance. Probably just save myself a lot of problems and keep them up while the Kiko and Myo crosses get to enjoy pasture. That'll save some hay too.

I'm missing my spring garden this year even though I have a couple things going. Can't really call it a proper garden though. Oh well, guess there's always fall.

Bought a bunch of ground beef on sale the other day. We're grilling a big batch of 'em up just to have easily available. Grands are coming soon so that'll make a few meal choices pretty easy. I'll have to do a lot more shopping before they get here. Yay!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Boo Hoo - I've had an earache and sore throat since yesterday. Hate that! Not sick enough to stop me from doing anything - just enough to make me not WANT to do anything. Oh well... I should be grateful for rarely getting sick.

Waiting on the guy to call and tell me when he's coming to pick up all these bucklings. I wanted to go fishing with DIL, but not sure we're going to find time for that.

While waiting I'm working on organizing the pantry. It started out having a place for everything and everything in its place....but it didn't stay that way long, lol. I'm arranging like with like - like it should have always been. Newest stuff in the back, oldest stuff in the front... like it always shoulda been, lol. Been trying to eat out of the pantry and freezer lately. Need to keep it up and use up some of the stuff that's been in there the longest.

There's something very satisfying about getting things in order.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
arg! hope it is over soon. no fun being sick.
I'm a whole bunch better, thanks!

Sold 9, yes NINE goats today. Of course, "sold" is a loose term, lol. All males - so I don't mind practically giving them away. It wasn't quite that bad and what I made off them will buy a good bit of hay. Guy wants to come back next week and get a doe. She's heavy bred so I really want her to kid this week, if not I'll put him off for a week. This will be her first kidding and I want it to go smoothly and for her to have time to bond with her kid before he takes her.

He wants any extra chickens I have. I think I can round up two roos and maybe even a few hens. I'll see what I can come up with. I'm all about bringing in the cash and spending less on feed.