Getting Blood Out of Carpet?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but since buying new carpet is not frugal here it goes.

My dad, as many of you here already know, is living with my sister. He is also in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's.

Last night when he came home from being out my dad stumbled when going up their porch stairs and fell cutting his hand. Other than that he seemed ok. Sis got the hand doctored up and then he went off to get ready for bed.

Evidently during the fall he had also knocked his toe on the ground. The toe with the big long tree climbing toe nail on it. :sick

The toe nail was long and had been torn slightly so it bled. Quite a lot. Of course dad in his mental state paid no attention. He basically walked around all over the brand new carpet with his gushy bloody toe.

This morning when she found out his toe was covered with dry blood and the carpet looks like a crime scene! Once again dad was doctored and is perfectly fine and grouchy.

So anyone know how to get (now dried) blood out of a synthetic carpet?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use hydrogen peroxide, color testing first.
also Oxy clean is supposed to work.
I would think any enzyme based pet floor cleaner should take it out also.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use peroxide on mine. I dilute the peroxide to 1/2 strength with COLD water, saturate the area, let sit for 15-20 minutes, Blot the excess up with a towel and repeat until spot has faded. I then leave the damp area to air dry. It will continue to lighten/remove the stain.
Do a color/fade test first. Good Luck.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No! dont use peroide!

go to home depot. they have two excellent products.
Foltx and or chemdry carpet cleaner.

I am still experimenting with the foltx but it got purple grape juice off of my corderoy pants with out even washing It is an enzyme product

The chemdry has proven to take everything out in my light gray carpet over the years

Ive seen oxyclean and peroxide bleach carpets in the past.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sometime you have to hit it twice and if you used a different product on it before hand it does not work as well

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oooh, I SO know this one!

Peroxide!!!!

Speaking as someone whose second son was born at home, at the very very edge of the bed. Nuff said ;) The midwives killed like a bottle and a half of peroxide but it *totally* did the trick. I was astonished and impressed.

Peroxide. Really :)

Pat

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lemon juice works for blood( and barry stains too)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Just an update.

She went with the peroxide because it was cheap and on hand AND ...

IT WORKED beautifully! Thanks to all who responded. :celebrate