Goofy chicken...

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We only have 2 chickens right now, with plans to expand our flock soon.

On July 4, I went out to close up the coop for the night, and I peeked in to find our Blue Americauna (sp?) sitting, not yet asleep, with her hind end raised and her weight seemingly resting on her chest.

What's that all about? Usually I find them sleeping at that hour, but I figured the fireworks were keeping them up. But the sitting position has me stumped. Any ideas?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
She was watching the fireworks?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just when you think you have your chickens figured out, they throw you a curve ball. I have a very personable small black pullet who tops the other pullets just like a rooster. I have witnessed her laying an egg, so I know she is a she. :lol: But she mounts the pullets, biting their combs or feathers and "mates" them. She hops down, the other pullet stands up, shakes her feathers, then they have an after sex cigarette together. :gig

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you don't have a rooster, the dominate hen can try and "take over" his duties. Does she crow? Usually you only get crowing hens in that situation as well.

(There are a few rare breeds where hens crowing is normal. I have a silkie hen that crows with the boys. I think she has an ovary issue)

As for sitting on the chest. I have a few birds that do that all the time. If she's not acting off, I wouldn't worry about it.

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have not caught the other hen trying to "mate" her, but the other hen is the mother hen, I would think. Wherever she goes, the other one goes.

I'm going to chalk it up to behavior due to fireworks. I haven't seen it again since.