Growing Herbs to Dry and Sell

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Jobs do that to ya huh?
Do you have info on drying them? That's my next step in research now.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have used my hot oven, when I'm finished baking, to get some chopped herbs to dehydrate. I just turned off the hot oven and put them in and stirred them around and forgot them until the next day, then took out and jarred the dried leaves.
I also have a dehydrator that DH insisted we needed, which is very useful if you have lots of things in season that you want to put up. Dehydration does take up so much less room than any other storage method.
I don't consider myself an expert on dehydration, so anytime I want to do a SS project that I maybe have done, although not with this particular fruit, veg, animal, etc.....I do refer to my reference library.
If you actually bake the herbs, you will get them dry, but you will also change their color and possibly flavor, so I think if the oven will be used, you don't really want a hot oven, but one that has recently been used and is only warm and getting cooler by the minute.
You can also pretend you are brooding some chicks in your house and put the chopped herbs in a tin, and place in a box, with a light bulb and put a towel partially over.
In my oldest reference book, 'Back to Basics' they show you how to sun dry everything, using tin sheets and screen. You can always make use of a parked car, if you not going anywhere....just put the herbs in some tins and place in the hot, parked car....maybe go in a few times a day and stir. I've done that method a lot. Of course, you car might smell of onions for a while......we have wild onions growing everywhere down here.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Lol love the hot car idea! That's hilarious! I do have a little dehydrator, it's nothing special, and I'm all about economical and efficient. But I suspect that degrading herbs wouldn't take that much energy or time in the long run. I think I want to do my own celery and probably garlic since those two things I don't keep much of in hand and/or are a pain to prepare. Plus my own garlic powder is appealing!