Growing your own veg oil

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good thoughts sumi. Maybe it would be better to rely on animal fats from a self sustaining point of view.? My goal is to make things at home and not be dependent on outside sources as much as possible. So far the animals we raise are not a good source for fats. :idunno so my search continues.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have to be super practical and careful with the finances with everything I take on, so I my first thoughts are always how much space/time is this going to take and how much is it going to save me money-wise? I'm going to be doing 90% of things myself and money and available land is going to be limited, so my mind is thinking which would give the better yield? In this case a patch of sunflowers for a cup of oil or a year's worth of potatoes? And then there's the time...

I do love the idea of pressing oil though!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted a row of hazelnuts with an eye to getting oil out of them. Mostly though, it's going to be animal fats; duck fat is wonderful!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Duck fat is wonderful. As is the meat. Pity there's so little of it on the boogers!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Historically, cooler climate people used animal fats for cooking. You didn't get much oil used until you got into the warmer climates where olives and other high fat plant seeds/fruits would grow.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank goodness we have refrigeration-I love the duck fat! It makes wonderful stir fry! I grew a few black oil sunflowers this year just to try them and was pleased with the results. From 4 sunflower heads, I filled an egg carton with seeds. I will plant a lot more this coming spring for winter feed for the chickens. It would be a handy thing to have an oil press.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sumi you could always let the beans, squash and cukes grow up the sunflowers but like baymule i just grow some for the birds. i think it would take more room than i have to grow enough for oil but i like the idea. and yes, yes, yes on the duck fat and lard from the piggies

Latest posts