Happy to be Me--Settling In

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you're like me, you never have time for it! Sounds like things are moving right along.

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:weee The trailer is ready! We can start moving in! It looks good and we are heading out there as soon as hubby gets home from work to clean. The crew did a good job of a basic clean up but it needs a really good wipe down to get rid of the rest of the dust. In just a couple of hours we should be done though since there is nothing to move around. Tomorrow I will try to move my kitchen stuff and then the heavy furniture on Saturday when we have a Uhaul truck and some help. The rest we can do a bit at a time. So excited! :ya

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's been a very busy couple of weeks! We are now living out on our property and loving it! It's been a crazy time of moving stuff from one location to the other, working on the old house to spruce up a few things, and organizing out here. Still lots of work to do it seems but we will get there eventually. Today I've got things to do here in the house, and I need to decide where i am going to put the compost bin so I can get to work on that. I hate not having one right now and just haven't had the time to sit down and decide where the best place will be. Also have to run to town for a couple of errands and then i hope to work in the yard a bit to start making progress on this big old mud pie! :) One step at a time is what I keep telling myself...

I'm sure glad to have internet access back--I really missed reading on this forum! Looks like everyone has been busy!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad things are moving forward, even if it is only one step at a time. :) Be sure to keep us up to date now that you are back online!

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Had a good day yesterday. Got most everything done that I had planned to. Debating over two sites for the compost bin--one near the garden area, which is also fairly close to the chicken coop and one that is mid-way between our house and the farm house (so the kids can also use it easily when they are out here). I prefer the one near the garden/chicken area but am a little concerned about it possibly attracting some unwelcome critters, like raccoons or possums. But my thought is that with the garden there and the chickens, they will probably come anyway so it might as well be convenient for me. So I'll need to get that cleaned up--lots of sticks and brush laying on it now.

Good news is that I discovered the area where I plan to put the garden isn't quite as much clay as some of the rest of the yard...at least on the surface there is some sandy dirt. Perhaps that and some good compost and it won't be as bad as I feared. I'm going to start fairly small this first year and then go from there.

We still don't have the chickens out here--haven't found time to finish the pen and move the coop out here yet. I'm going to town at least every two days to check on them and make sure they have plenty of food and water. I'm only getting about one egg a day out of 9 hens so I'm not too happy about that, but I'm not surprised either. It is winter and they are a couple of years old now. I'll get some more chicks in the early spring to replenish the flock. Thinking about doing some meat chickens too, but have not ever even seen the processing done, so will have to think on that for a bit.

I didn't work on the yard yesterday...wound up taking a nice walk on our property. Wish I had taken my camera. We have a stand of planted pines right near the house and it was so pleasant out that I just sort of explored. Discovered quite a few small cedar trees growing in there and am wondering if I might be able to transplant some of them. Also a few long leaf pines but I plan to leave them alone. Also found a dead armadillo and left that alone too! :sick

Today I'll be here at the house all day. Have some bananas that need to be made into bread, my youngest daughter is coming over for coffee and bringing a "surprise". She came over last night to borrow an egg for it! :) Lots of things to work on so I will just enjoy being a "domestic engineer" today! :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Can't imagine why you didn't do anything w/the armadillo. :lol: