Happy to be Me--Settling In

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The bricks for the trailer skirting were FINALLY delivered yesterday. Only a week and half after they were supposed to be! Hopefully the crew that is supposed to be putting them in place actually arrives today as scheduled. I have learned not to hold my breath for people to show up as scheduled though!

Had a good day at home yesterday and plan to do the same today. I love just being out here and able to work on things around the house. yesterday I did some baking, enjoyed time with my daughter and then tore into trying to organize all my sewing/craft supplies. At the other house I had them in several different places and I am trying to consolidate (out of necessity!) it all into one place. Didn't realize I had so much and I found projects that I had forgotten about. Half-finished, of course! :hide Didn't get that finished and made a huge mess back in that bedroom so I will finish that up today.

I have had several people ask me lately if I hate being alone out here so much. I think they are surprised when I tell them how much I love it. I don't need a lot of company or to go places constantly--in fact, I hate to be so busy running here and there that I don't have time to think. I feel so relaxed and content out here and am really excited about getting things going on our little homestead! I get to stay home today too as hubby is going to go feed/water the chickens and gather eggs (probably one or two!). I'll have to go to town tomorrow though as I have several errands to run and then want to do a few things at the old house (mainly clean the chicken coop!). We have to be in town at 5:30 anyway, so I might as well make a day of it and then not have to go back for a while. I would love to get to the point where I just have to go once a week--or less if possible.

I do wish that we were going to have more time this weekend to be able to get the chicken coop out here. I miss them! But we have a ride to benefit Operation Santa Claus on Saturday and that will keep us busy until mid-afternoon and then we are going gun shopping to find me something I am comfortable with. I have done some "testing" with some of my husband's and kids' guns, but the only thing I have liked at all is a .22 pistol. Looking for something that is easy to handle, has very little kick and is easy to carry with me. Hubby and DD2 had a bit of a fit when I said I walked in the woods with no gun. I just haven't had that much exposure to them and need a good "first" gun to learn on and get comfortable with--I wouldn't be able to hit something right now even I tried! Want something to be able to dispatch wild critters when needed and for protection if it becomes necessary. Hopefully we will be able to find one and then i will be able to start practicing with it. There is so much to learn and do out here that it is overwhelming if i think about it all at once! Maybe on Sunday after church we will be able to make some more progress on getting the chickens out here. And if nothing else, we will have some time next weekend. We are doing Thanksgiving here at the house but I am not doing Black Friday shopping so that gives us Friday and Saturday.

Well, sitting here at the computer sure isn't getting anything done so I better get busy!

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My day didn't go as planned yesterday but that's okay--got a call from our realtor that someone wants to look at our house in town today. So I spent the afternoon there working on a few things and will go back later this morning to finish up and make it look spiffy! Would love to get that place sold and concentrate only on this one. But if nothing else, maybe we can find out if there is anything else we should do to that house (we do have a couple of minor projects and 3 closets we want to paint still) to help it sell better. Trying not to get my hopes up as this is the first showing and realistically in this market we expect it to be a while before it sells. Say a prayer for us though--it would be a great early Christmas present! :fl

I have lots to do today and then the weekend will be busy too. Hopefully good progress will be made all around. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't really know yet how it went. (other than that they left some lights on and our shop door unlocked! :rant) Our realtor will let us know as soon as she gets some feed back from the other realtor. Whatever happens, it was nice to at least have it looked at! And maybe we will be able to get an idea of what else we might be able to do to help it sell. We do know that they have more houses to look at tomorrow. Exhausting day working at that house, running here and there and then helping set up for tomorrow. We have the bike ride tomorrow so I'm off to bed shortly!

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Got feedback on the house showing today. It seems like they really liked the yard and shop and there was nothing they specifically DIDN'T like about the house but they are wanting ot look for something newer. Ours was built in the late 70's. So really not terrible news like they hated it and thought it needed more work or something.

Had an incredibly busy weekend. The toy ride turned out great! Raised over $450 plus a huge pile of toys. Hopefully that will really help some kids have a good Christmas.

today is an "at home" day finally. Making some progress but not as much as I would like. the brick guys are here and working. this is the next to the last thing that has to be done to the trailer for it to be finished as purchased. Next they have to send the factory out to fix some of the minor things that are messed up. they have you live in for about a month and make your list and then they come out and fix it all at once. None of the items on our list are major, but some of them are annoying. Like the front door that doesn't open without a great deal of force, the patio door screen that won't slide, crooked cabinet doors, etc. But they will get it fixed and it is understandable that those things happen when you move an entire house!

Really should be doing something more productive at the moment but told myself that a few minutes in the recliner with an ice pack to help my headache would be a good idea!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Your weekend sounded great, all those toys for those children. :woot

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Keeping busy, but not with anything very interesting! :) I spent all day yesterday doing errands and grocery shopping. Well, I did have coffee with DD too! After all of that was done and hubby got off work, we went to the gun shop. That was fun and I learned a bunch! Going to practice around here this weekend with hubby's guns and the girls' guns then maybe decide what I want. Haven't been a huge hurry, but son-in-law1 was out here hunting this morning and said he heard what sounded like coyotes attacking a dog. He even drove over here to check on our dog. (she's a sissy and spends the nights indoors tho!) So I better get a gun and get to practicing.

In a few minutes, I'll start working on things for our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. It will be a nice afternoon! I love the smell of pumpkin pie baking (almost as much as I love the taste of it!)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You are really lucky to have several to check out and try, to see which one suits you! I hated my DH's guns - I am a wimp, and don't like bruises on my shoulder/broken wrists from the kick of firing his :p I finally found :pa perfect 'me' gun - a High Point 380 with a compensator and a ghost sight on it! It is the smoothest gun I've ever shot, .380 isn't as great as 9/40/45, but better than .22 (which is what I had thought I wanted), and best of all - American made and reasonably priced! It came with a lifetime warranty and, if I decide to 'upgrade' to a 9, I just need to swap out the barrel (at least that's what I think they said - I am NOT well versed in gunspeak :p ). Now, if any more dogs come after my animals, I'll be ready ;) Have a nice Thanksgiving :frow

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow! Can't believe how long it's been since I posted. I've stopped by and read posts occasionally but that's it. I've been busy with the usual holiday stuff and getting settled. Seems like once Thanksgiving hits, it is non-stop until after Christmas. The chickens are out here and happy in their new home and with all the free-ranging they get to do. Our shed has been moved out here so we have somewhere to store a few things which is helpful. We are also utilizing the old barn for a few things and still working on cleaning up things. I am getting used to living out from town and learning to make sure I have a COMPLETE list of things we need when I go to town--still a work-in-progress like a lot of things here! :)

We finally got our tree put up. We have a real one for the first time in a long time. Our artificial, pre-lit tree was just too raggedy to keep after last year. On Sunday afternoon we went to all the trouble to get the tree and a stand and got it up and realized, "ummm...do we have any lights?" Nope! :hide Sheesh--so I had to run to town for those yesterday but it's done now and I was able to do a couple more things since I was there. Mainly go to the chiropractor since I nearly fell off the stairs leaving the house and wrenched my shoulder trying not to fall! I'm a danger to myself! :lol:

Today I got 16 jelly jars of apple butter canned. Still have a bunch of apples to deal with, but I think some of them are going into a pie tomorrow (or maybe later this afternoon if i get to it). Well, better get back to work before i decide to spend this dreary afternoon in front of the computer instead of being productive!