haters?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nah, I'd rather chat chickens, goats and gardens, lol! Or maybe water filters....I'm in the market for a good water filter and am a bit overwhelmed by the choices. I live on the coast and occasionally a great big hurricane blows through and we're without power for weeks. Just in case I didn't have gas for the generator and had to turn to the pond for water (ugh) I thought it might be wise to have a dependable filter on hand.

You may return to your regularly scheduled topic and I'm gonna study a little more on filters. :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome!

I haven't had any issues and I come from a farming family. It helps that several of the ones that don't actively farm and have land still do a few small things to sell usually. The ones who farm big hasn't been an issue as they've been converting over to organic farming on much of it to survive. I'm also in the Pacific Northwest so it's actually fairly easy to find many like minded people here.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:gig
Oops, my computer hadn't regenerated and my post was about a page 1/2 late.

I need to contact the well guy in town. Our place has very high suspended solids. We are using a Zero-Water pitcher for drinking, but I can't stand the yellow scum on everything.

FarmerD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
all yalls stories are great!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Guess I'm just blessed. I don't have any problems w/anyone in my family about how I'm living. And, my friends all get it. I don't get grief from anyone over it.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went on strike for using a clothes dryer, back in 2001. I hang clothes inside when it is too rainy or damp outside. We are heating the rooms anyways, with zoned heating. Why not get twice the savings out of the heating $$ by drying clothes with it.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went on strike for using a clothes dryer, back in 2001. I hang clothes inside when it is too rainy or damp outside. We are heating the rooms anyways, with zoned heating. Why not get twice the savings out of the heating $$ by drying clothes with it.
Thats kinda what I've been doing. After Katrina, we needed to wash our clothes in the tub and line dry and our clothes line was popped because of whatever had landed on it, plus the yard was a mess, until we slowly cleaned it, and with unpredictable weather, so we put ourselves clothes lines in each bedroom and after washing, each room had clothes particular to whoever's room it was. I now have, without a doubt the best clothes line I have ever seen....on picture or face to line but still rely on the inside, room lines when weather is questionable. Its almost easier for me to dry clothes inside, but takes longer because whatever will eventually need to go on hangers, I just put straight onto hangers from the washer and then hang it to dry in the rooms. When dry enough, it can go straight into the closets....its already on the hanger. Unless I need to look really sharp, I'm good. But the room with the little gas heater is the room that dries the clothes best, so I am killing 2 birds with one stone, so to speak.
Maybe I'll fix my dryer soon. Keep saying I will and I did obtain the tool to diagnosis the problem. Costed 11 bucks. Better than 600, huh? But, of course, once I find out what is wrong, that will probably be another 40 or 50 bucks.....still, better than 600 though. But its no real hardship for me to line dry and my gas bill was only 46.....pretty good for Dec/Jan bill, so maybe a broken dryer isn't so bad. Not like a broken washer, which I still could deal with if push came to shove.