Healthy, soft serve chocolate ice cream.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The black ones on the reduced-for-quick-sale rack are best for this!

You can use any frozen fruit, Abi, but you might leave the cocoa out. We make sorbets with all kinds of things....frozen pineapple, grapes, berries, etc, and use orange juice or the juice from the pineapple can (I can't eat it fresh) to moisten it for the blender.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Another person who can't eat bananas. Mildly allergic and WAY too carby even without the hives issue. Cooked pumpkin might work. Frozen melon balls might work too.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Pumpkin and chocolate goes great together though! :D

lol.

Frozen strawberries too....

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It's so tasty when you whizz frozen raspberries in the blender with some milk or cream, abi, I bet it would be MARVELLOUS if you added cocoa to it. Chocolate-raspberry! (In fact I think I know what I'm doing tonight after dinner...! LOL)

Pat

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Mmmmm! Sounds yummy :D

And this time of year I need ANYTHING that'll get calories in me!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just made my first batch of goats milk yogurt, and then strained it. We like it better this way b/c it is thick and creamy, plus I use the whey for baking bread.

So, I tasted the yogurt cheese, and OMgoodness, it by itself tastes like icecream, so for dessert tonight, I am going to whip it up with some frozen fruit, I am expecting a yummy treat!!!! haven't decided what type of fruit I wil use, but probably bananas, since I have some very ripe ones

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Ok, I have this in another thread about ice cream, but I think it deserves its own thread.

Makes 4 large servings or 6 regular servings...

4 frozen bananas, cut into chunks prior to freezing
1 cup of milk or coconut milk
4-5 TBS of cocoa powder

(I added a few raw duck yolks for more protein but it wasn't in the original recipe.)

toasted nuts etc. for garnish

Blend the first 4 ingredients in a blender (and the yolks too if you use them). Fold in the nuts or whatever you want to use for garnish.

We had this twice this weekend...it was that good! Don't freeze it, use it right away. (If you freeze it, it gets pretty hard.)
Had it this weekend it was REALLY REALLY yummy!! I used melted chocolate chips though and a couple of chicken egg yolks. and raw goat milk :love

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
BTW, my 4 yr old FINALLY reminded me to buy cocoa when I was actually *in* the grocery store as opposed to driving home from it afterwards :p so I am sitting here eating a chocolate-raspberry concoction that is REALLY REALLY GOOD.

I did however have to add about as much sugar as cocoa, or perhaps a bit more, b/c the cocoa (about 1 Tb per 2 servings) made it so bitter. You might be able to use other sweeteners, I don't know how stevia would interact with the chocolate/raspberry taste but you could sure try it.

Boy is it ever GOOOOOOOOOD :D

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Stevia as the sole sweetener can be a bit yuck. It depends on how much of the licorice aftertaste you pick up on. Mixing it with erythritol is a good option if you are avoiding equal or splenda.