Hello y’all.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a propane heater that looks like a free standing wood burner, fake logs, etc,...match to light! No electric required.

we converted the fireplace into a fake log propane burning setup, it can be ignited electronically if we put batteries in it, but i don't really like using it so i never have them in there. i can light it by matches too if needed and when the power goes out i have a nice long lighter that will reach in far enough to get it lit. IMO i don't like things that burn with pilot lights so i prefer it remain off until needed (it also makes noise when it is burning the pilot light so that's another problem i have with it).

Wood stove will require certain install requirements, inside and flue. Building codes can be gotten from planning deptmt of city/county in which you live. That can affect what you can use. Check there first. 👍 Those requirements might alter your thoughts.

all good points! :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hubbs has surprised me with a whole house generator. :ep Install beginning next week. It’s not only for us but his parents may move in. Both are in their 90’s with health issues.

in that case i suggest a nice big propane tank and the generator being able to run off that because there will be a time in the future when the idea of chopping wood and going out and hauling stuff just doesn't work any more. people like to think that cutting wood and hauling it and everything is great, but it's a lot of work, it is dangerous and it also can cause issues with lungs and allergies if you happen to be sensitized to smoke. we are, neither of us can handle it (or i'd have fires once in a while because i really do like them no matter what). so instead i have this fireplace video i can put on my screen and that is nice enough.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is so nice! My power is off right now, got Tac lights and Propane heater . Made boiled in a pot coffee on propane stove. After the storm last night, it’s going to be a beautiful day!

You will love the generator! Power goes off, life goes on. Everything we do needs electricity so I’m glad y’all are getting the generator!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd LOVE one of those generators! Not budget friendly right now. :idunno instead, I have a device to plu in at meter, big generator & control use at breaker box -- i.e. don't run hot water & well pump at same time! 😁 Works for me! But, there's still gasoline fills ☹️🙄. Fortunately, rarely power out for more than a day.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is so nice! My power is off right now, got Tac lights and Propane heater . Made boiled in a pot coffee on propane stove. After the storm last night, it’s going to be a beautiful day!

You will love the generator! Power goes off, life goes on. Everything we do needs electricity so I’m glad y’all are getting the generator!

i really wish that battery back up for power wasn't so expensive. it is coming along and improving every year but i'm still thinking it is still too dangerous so i have a very small unit just for the computer and it can run a light for a few days if needed. plus the propane fireplace burner for heat and hot water or soup in a tin can. it's just a better form of camping since we can still sleep in our own beds. :)

the things i really dislike about generators is the noise and refuelling. i can hear the neighbor's place when they have theirs running. oh, no, don't get me back into grump mode, it's too early for even that! :)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Soooo many times we've talked about a whole house generator. I'm jealous and happy for you!!!!!

edited to add: I would need several hundred thousand bucks if my Mother moved in with us. She's 93, barely eats cus doesn't want to get fat, and is freezing all the time. (gee - wonder why??) I can't imagine my electric and propane bill costs here cus she keeps her apt at the old folks home at 78!!!!!