Homeade-Septic friendly toilet cleaner?

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm tired of paying $3-4 a bottle for toilet cleaner. Although the disposable scubber heads are nice, they are such a waste. Bleach works great but is bad for the septic. I've thought of trying vinegar but can't get past the thought of the toilet smelling like pickles. What are you using to clean your toliet?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I get Basic G (like Basic H) for natural germicide, get toilet brush/bowl duos, fill with water, a teeny bit of Basic G and then keep the brush soaking in the solution at all times. When the toilet gets icky, I grab the brush, clean it a bit, rinse off the brush and stick it back in the solution. I got the bottle of G about 5 years ago and am not even close to half gone.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
o.k. here I go asking another stupid question Basic G ??? duh Basic H??.:idunno Mama always said"if ya want to know-you gotta ask"

Thanks for info

me&thegals

Reaction score
Sorry about that! They are Shaklee products, super, super concentrated, natural, biodegradable. The bottles are expensive, but they last nearly forever, making it well worth it. For example, a window cleaning solution would be about 24 oz of water with 3 drips of Basic H, or something along those lines.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly, my mother -- who despite being Pennsylvania Dutch has mysteriously morphed, in her senior years, into a vigorous consumer of all sorts of special-purpose household cleaners she sees advertised on tv, has cleaned toilets all her life with nothing but elbow grease (vigorous scrubbing with GOOD toilet brush, most are not good, they have to be really stiff) plus periodic use (I'm going to say every couple months?) of a strong acid, CLR or whatever, to remove mineral deposits and anything else starting to take a more permanent hold. Works fine for her.

Pat

me&thegals

Reaction score
Isn't it crazy how mothers morph? My mother NEVER bought processed anything. During her years of baking cheesecakes for a local coffee shop, guess who crushed her graham cracker crumbs, chopped her chocolate, minced the nuts? These days she buys it all pre-crushed and chopped!

Sorry, back to the topic.

I bet vinegar would work okay, too, for some of the buildup. One flush (or 2) and the smell would be gone.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For deep cleaning, I use vinegar & baking soda, or rather, the reverse. I flush, then wait for the water to stop, sprinkle baking soda on the wet surfaces, then scrub. Then I pour in a 1/4 cup or so of vinegar, swish with the brush again & leave it. The vinegar smell dissipates quickly.

I only do that every week or so, or if I notice a smell. Mostly I just swish daily with the toilet brush. Takes 30 seconds or so.