Homemade Compost Turners

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was paroosing today and found this... http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9600

I want! Does anyone know where I could get something along the lines of the barrel, but for VERY cheap? I looked at Craigslist, things like that don't appear very often. I am just north of seattle so my compost never gets very hot, and is usually so wet that I have a hard time getting it the oxygen it needs. It doesn't help that the compost bins we built are in the shade. <sigh> We wanted them out of sight, but near the chicken coop for obvious reasons. They do alright in the summer, but that's about it. I think 2 or 3 of these would do way better... I just have NO money even if it is much cheaper than getting the store-bought kind.

Do you think one made from pallets would work? We are a creative bunch... how can I make this work?!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do you have any farms near you? If so, call them up and ask them if they get any of those barrels and what they do w/them. I know around here, I can buy them for fairly cheap. I think the last ones we got were either $10 or $15. If you had the money, I'd suggest looking in the yellow pages for barrels.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you want to produce classic aerobic compost or biogas via anaerobic digestion? Frankly that drum looks more like a digester than a compost maker. Where are the vents to let air in so that aerobic bacteria can thrive? The aerobic process is very low odor when compared to anaerobic processes.
Our tumble composter was made of old pallet boards and as such it is 4 long and a box 2 on each side. One side is hinged so you can add material or dump compost. The sides are slatted with an eyeball gap between them. It is mounted high enough so I can get a wheelbarrow under it to dump into. Mounted on a pipe axel. One warning the wood tends to rot after 3-4 years.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
~gd said:
Our tumble composter was made of old pallet boards and as such it is 4 long and a box 2 on each side. One side is hinged so you can add material or dump compost. The sides are slatted with an eyeball gap between them. It is mounted high enough so I can get a wheelbarrow under it to dump into. Mounted on a pipe axel. One warning the wood tends to rot after 3-4 years.
Mine would have holes, etc. I just wanted to give a general idea w/o having to type a novel ;)

Do you have a pic of yours? That sounds like pretty much exactly what I had in mind!

I am just thinking pallets because I know I can get those for free from a local aerospace company VERY nearby. I could go out to the farms, but it's about an hour drive. Anyone know what kind of farm would have barrels to get rid of?? Wine barrels would be cool, and we have many wineries, but I know that those barrels would be heavy and likely pricey.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Call a car wash or dealership detail shop and see if they will give you any. Mine is just glad to get rid of them

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
odd_duck99 said:
~gd said:
Mine would have holes, etc. I just wanted to give a general idea w/o having to type a novel ;)

Do you have a pic of yours? That sounds like pretty much exactly what I had in mind!

I am just thinking pallets because I know I can get those for free from a local aerospace company VERY nearby. I could go out to the farms, but it's about an hour drive. Anyone know what kind of farm would have barrels to get rid of?? Wine barrels would be cool, and we have many wineries, but I know that those barrels would be heavy and likely pricey.
Not necessarily. I know people that bottle wine, and they just use the plastic barrels. I'm not sure if they reuse them year after year. But, if they don't or if they have any they can't use any longer, it might be a way to go.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I could not find any suitable drums, that is why i built a slatted Box. A round slat container would be better[I suspect] but I am from the KISS school It is not pretty but it works. No pictures I haven't owned a camera since they stopped using film. One thing I failed to mention, If you Know the three heap method of making compost, I use my tumble box to replace the first two heaps The final aging is in the third heap. You could age in the tumble box but I always have new materials to compost and the final compost doesd not need to be turned.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
~gd said:
I could not find any suitable drums, that is why i built a slatted Box. A round slat container would be better[I suspect] but I am from the KISS school It is not pretty but it works. No pictures I haven't owned a camera since they stopped using film. One thing I failed to mention, If you Know the three heap method of making compost, I use my tumble box to replace the first two heaps The final aging is in the third heap. You could age in the tumble box but I always have new materials to compost and the final compost doesd not need to be turned.
My understanding of the 3 heap method was that there was one heap you were actively adding to, one that was aging and being turned, and one you were able to actively use (but don't have to do anything to). That sound about right?

I think I might go with one made from pallets, just to see how it works. How do you keep the hinged side closed? Padlock? Something simpler? A nut and bolt might work, and would keep me from having to find the key every time! lol!