Homemade liquid fertilizer

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I followed instructions I found on Mother Earth News website a while back to make homemade liquid fertilizer from grass clippings steeped in water for 3 days. I opened that bucket up yesterday after 3 days and whew!!!! That was awful.

I pulled the grass clippings out by hand and wish I hadn't. I've washed my hands several times and that scent isn't coming off.

Still, I watered my tomatos and peppers with the solution last night. They have been struggling since I transplanted them 2 weeks ago. I'll let everyone know if it has any impact.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sleuth said:
I followed instructions I found on Mother Earth News website a while back to make homemade liquid fertilizer from grass clippings steeped in water for 3 days. I opened that bucket up yesterday after 3 days and whew!!!! That was awful.

I pulled the grass clippings out by hand and wish I hadn't. I've washed my hands several times and that scent isn't coming off.

Still, I watered my tomatos and peppers with the solution last night. They have been struggling since I transplanted them 2 weeks ago. I'll let everyone know if it has any impact.
Next time try compost tea! What you had was anaerobic breakdown of grass clippings compost is made by aerobic bacteria that need air to breath, your anaerobic process shut out the air. Compost is almost odorless because of the action of the air most anaerobic breakdown products stink to high heaven. Just to be clear you make the compost first and then make the tea from that after it has converted tocompost If you can't wait for the compost to finish put your grass clippings in a old sock or tied up in a rag to soak or steep. At the end of the 3day soak take a L O N G stick to carry the clippings to the compost pile Spray with the stinky exrract. O BTW you can do about the same by using the clippings as a mulch and watering often. Hydrogeb peroxide will renove the stink. Don't have it try vinegar straight from the bottle.Last to try is chlorine bleach cut 1;1 with water

Latest posts