hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Lol.
Yes, the pasture walks are super informative. I got a lot out of this one learning all about hay and why you shouldn't necessarily but the top proceed hay and should bid on what everybody else isn't bidding on when you have horses lol

Last edited:

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yesterday was not a good day. Work was goody in the office. I had to get my new computer hooked up and that took way more effort than it should have. I spent most of the day dealing with that.
The worst part was that I got a text back from DB replying to my request to borrow their truck to get this hay feeder delivered. Their truck is the only one big enough to pull the trailer with the feeder and the bobcat on the back. She told me that she and her daughter were going somewhere on Sunday with the horses, but also told me that the last time we used the truck the top edge of the bed got scratched. We did have the roof strapped down, and the bf forgot to put rags between the bed and the roof. The worst part is that we had no idea and they didn't bother to tell us. The bf is absolutely braise himself and I'm really upset, mostly at the fact that they didn't give us the courtesy of letting us know it happened. When we got finished delivering that feeder it was dark and we were exhausted. We had no idea, otherwise we would have said something sooner. I think it explains why they've been a little distant, but that upsets me more that they would behave that way and not tell me why. So now the bf and I are trying to figure out what to do for them to attempt to make things right again. I really don't want a bad relationship or even a stale relationship with them just because this happened. I would like to try to make amends.
It also leaves us in a lurch trying to figure out how to get this feeder, which is the largest one we have sold, to this crazy customer. The bf is bringing home a truck from work tonight so we can pick up pellets for winter, plus the lumber. He is trying to figure out how to get the feeder on the truck, it looks like the easiest way is going to be to put it together when we get there, which will be difficult because we have to get the roof on and at 8 feet square the roof is heavy. I guess we'll talk it over today.
I need to get some cleaning done and get soup made for tonight then I have to pick up KN for lessons today. I guess I'd better get to it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'd say contact them and apologize. Let her know that you didn't know it had happened and ask about fixing it.

hqueen13

Reaction score
The bf and I both have done that now, to both her and her hubby. I haven't seen her hubby yet, but will on Tuesday and I'll say something then. I'm so frustrated they just didn't say something about it. Seems this is the energy I need to process right now and so it is what it is. That doesn't make it much easier, but I guess it is some consolation.
Had a great time watching lessons yesterday and a fantastic lesson this morning. Storm did terrific, even after spooking when she came around the corner of the barn. I had to go all the way out to get him and he didn't really want to be caught. Once I had him he was fine, other than his small issue when she walked around the corner.
We went to the round pen and backed one lap in each direction, then started on the long reins. He was putting in a lot of effort and KN and I had a great conversation about rein contact and the importance of it. She had changed her strategy a bit and brought that aspect more into focus, and it is helping a lot. After we worked both directions, I got ready to rise. I was really feeling good about how he was doing and the ride was much the same. We worked very specifically on the twin contact and it made a huge difference. He started releasing in his neck and front end and really racing or with the front legs while siding weight into his hind end. It was an amazing feeling.
Interestingly he is better and more confidante going to the right, the left is harder because that is the over used front leg opposite his weak right hind. When we turned to go to the left he began shaking his head hard and got a bit anxious. KN stopped us and we stood at the halt while he processed what was harrowing internally. He called himself back down and we worked just a tiny bit more before calling it a day.
I slid down and then led him back to the arena where HL and BP were getting ready for their lesson. I put the long reins back on and he worked beautifully like he had always been down there. I'm hopeful that maybe next time we can do all of our work in the arena. We'll see how that goes.
The rest of the day has been somewhat of a mess. I'm at the farm working for the day now that S is out of town. The bf is sick at home unloading 4 tons of pellets by hand because the lawn guy borrowed the trailer to go move a car today and didn't bother to notice that the forks for the bobcat were still hooked into the trailer. So we have no forks wroth which to unload the 4 tons of pellets. He still needs to take the truck after that is unloaded and pick up the lumber for the hay feeder that we must get finished this weekend. That really needs to get started today.
I'm listening loud and clear that we don't need to build any more hay feeders, save our own, for a while. For whatever reason the universe has decided that isn't necessary, so we need to stop. Hopefully the universe will open another door for extra income for us because we could use it.
Five more hours to sit here. At least the last couple hours will have stuff to do. Right now, not so much.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I always hated it when I was working if I didn't have anything to do.

hqueen13

Reaction score
So the weekend just continued on its hellacious tend. The bf didn't get anything done on the feeder on Saturday, so we attempted to get an early start Sunday and that didn't work. I had a bit of a meltdown when I broke my spoon rest that my aunt made. I knew it was going to happen some day and it did. The bf mostly or me back together but I fell apart again later. He put me back together again, and we talked over various things that have been happening lately, I just feel like I keep getting kicked over and over when I'm dorm.
We finally got started on the hay feeder and were working pretty fast. My ex stopped by in the afternoon and helped us for a while which happened right when we could have used an extra hand. The lawn guy was STILL gone with the trailer that had the bobcat fields on it which would have made life SO much easier. My ex had to leave so we were back to the two of us. We got the roof panels on and found out that the ridge cap was narrower than the previous ones so we almost couldn't get it on with enough to cover the edges of the metal. We also broke the roof when the bf tried to steep on the ridge line, not really realizing that the sizes weren't supported the way it was sitting on the back of the truck. We got it repaired and he made it a little stronger and them we had to get the ridge cap on. We ended up with me under the roof completely so I could push up on the metal while he or screws into it to secure it. Very scary to be under a metal roof while he's pushing down with a drill plus a headache to boot.
His brother arrived about that time and we headed out shortly there after. We left the ship a mess which is not like us at all but we were running out of daylight and still had to assemble it plus disassemble the one at her house.
We got there and talked through how to assemble it with the roof that was massively heavy. We came up with the idea to set the base close to the edge of the flatbed truck, connect the uprights on the far side of the bar and roof and then wench it up and prop the second set of legs under it. We got to the point of trying to get the second legs under when the roof twisted sideways and fell, ripping the lag bolts out of the base and the roof.
Thankfully no one or anything was damaged, including the edges of the roof.
Second attempt we decided to build the base part and lay it on its side, then attach the roof and top the whole thing upright. We got the base built and then we're trying to get the roof on and the lady's husband came out. Thankfully he was able to lend a hand and give some suggestions which helped a lot. Exact right timing. At first the roof was on the wrong way and had to be roasted 90 degrees, so glad we had the extra hand. We got all the straps set up and the trucks hooked up to tip it upright. The bf got into the truck and his brother was handling the pully that we had set up to stop it from falling once it hit the tipping point. The Brr started to move and it stayed to come up. The only problem was that his brother didn't realize he was only supposed to slow it down, not hold it, so it started to collapse until he let some of the tension out. The whole thing worked beautifully except for that issue. It was badly racked, and many of the bolts were super stressed when we inspected it. By this time it was dark and we were working by headlights. The bf got things going on the door hardware and tightening up everything. I cleaned up and put the hardware for the net into place so that was done. We finally left at 8:30 in the pitch dark. Loading the small one wasn't that big of a deal. Amazing how much weight is added with twice the size.
So that's it. We need to get this one sold and then we're done. It's just to much work and we can't rely on other people's equipment. The universe has told us no. We may builds some odd the smaller ones again because the bf and I cam handle those with just a pickup truck and ourselves. They aren't that difficult. But we're not going to pursue actively trying to market them anymore.
So we didn't get back to the house until 9.I was going to stop and grab some munchies on the way home but realized I didn't have my wallet the whole time. So the bf and I headed to take the truck back to his work and found his jeep completely shrink wrapped. He was really irritated, I don't blame him. It actually melted a few spots from the heat, which made him really mad. So we got in the Jeep and headed to get some food. We didn't get home until after 12. I tried to convince him not to go to work on 5 hours of sleep, but he wouldn't listen.
I'm exhausted, have to teach a lesson this morning and run a few errands, this afternoon I need to clean up the shop and then there is a soak in the bath in my future.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the way it goes sometimes. I just hope October smooths out because I can't handle this kind of insanity for long!
The latest update is that the bf found that the shrink wrap on his jeep actually damaged the soft top. It bent one of the sports and ripped out some of the stitches in the back sundown. He's furious. The guy that did it (or the lead I should say) attempted to call him twice and then after the bf didn't answer the phone he texted him "are you really that pissed?" Um, yeah, wouldn't you be if someone pulled a prank that coat toy $500? This is the second time that this guy has pulled a prank big enough to cost the bf time, money and frustration. A few weeks ago the same guy wire tied the hand truck onto the front wall of the bfs truck, so he couldn't get to it to use it to unload his truck. He didn't figure this or until he was already at his first stop, and want able to go back. In addition, the guy didn't load his truck correctly that day, plus damaged something on the truck loading it so he couldn't give it to the customer. The bf is fed up. His boss wasn't in today, so we'll see what happens tomorrow. I really hope they send the guy home for a couple days without pay. Whether the company replaces his soft top or they make the guy do it, I don't care, but this has to stop. Jokes are funny, but jokes that make someone lose work time and cost them personally money aren't ok.
The bf is currently passed out on the bed with a headache. He needs sleep after the weekend and night we had last night. I cleaned up the kitchen and made myself some quinoa pasta mac and cheese for dinner because I waited too long to get started and didn't feel like making a huge meal that he wasn't going to eat. I'll cook the meatloaf tomorrow. The mac and cheese was pretty good, the texture wasn't bad, better, in my opinion than rice pasta. That's too sticky and loses its texture quickly. Well see how it reheats.
I'm going to clean up and put the dogs out and go to bed myself. Maybe I can make up for some lost hours too.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Ditto to that! A joke is one thing, but when it damages someone's property, it's no longer funny.