I am a chicken rookie

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok...well maybe not a "rookie". I took care of chickens when I was knee high to a grasshopper.

So it has been a while.

I am planning on going down to the local Tractor Supply and picking chicks up.

What all do I need? Feed? Heat lamp? Water tray?

I am starting with about a half dozen...going to put them in a portable rabbit cage until they are large enough for the chicken tractor (not yet finished).

I humbly offer my thanks ahead of time to the chicken experts that frequent here.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
When I get chicks, this is what I do:

I put them in a large box, cardboard or rubbermaid type. They need protection from drafts.
Line the bottom of the box with newspaper
Add some straw or wood shavings (I always forget which woodshavings are bad for chickens, so someone else will have to tell you about that LOL). The combination of newspaper and shavings makes clean up easier. I just roll the newspaper up with the shaving in the middle and toss them in the compost.

I put a heating pad on the lowest setting and wrapped in a towel in the box. They sit on it and poop on it. So I change the towel out frequently.
I also use a clip on light for heat. I put that in a different part of the box than the heating pad. I figure this gives the chicks different choices for heat. I find that the chicks like to sleep on the towel covered heating pad. You don' t want to give them an uncovered heating pad, as it may burn their feet.
The chicks will huddle together if they are cold and try to get away from the heat source if they are too warm.

You will need a shallow feeder, either homemade or storebought and a waterer with a shallow basin. I think the storebougth small waters work very well.
they will dig out the food and poop in it. I often start with a shallow plastic tub that cream cheese or something came in. Cut small holes in the top of the lid about the size of a silver dollar and use it to cover the tub. The chicks will have a harder time scratching the food out. And you will avoid having one sit in there, pooping in the food and/or falling asleep in it.

I stopped using medicated chick starter. I just watch their poop. If it shows signs of blood, I get the medicated stuff and give it to them. I add ACV to their water, about 1 tsp per quart of H2O.

You need to watch out for poopy butts. They can get plugged up and die from it. Most people soak the poop off with a warm wet wash cloth.

Once they are a week old, I start putting twigs in the box, so they can practise jumping on it.

I also like to chop up greens from the garden real small and feed it to them. or give them little creepy crawlies i find as I dig in the garden.

have fun!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not an expert by any means, but my chicks did great last year and the new ones are doing wonderful too. My new friend has been raising chickens for years and says mine look better than his ever have, thanks BYC :lol:

Very similar to Denise. I put 2 large cardboard boxes together with duct tape (you can use a smaller box with those few chicks, maybe a stove or oven sized one) I line the bottom with garbage bags to protect my flooring, on top of that I put flat cardboard, then shavings. I lay down newspaper the first day or two, on top of the shavings, because chickens are dumb. I use a dustpan to scoop out the dirty shavings. They slide right off of the cardboard on the bottom. If they knock over the waterer & get the floor sopping, I just pull out the bottom cardboard & start over.

Pine shavings only, its cedar that is toxic to chicks, and lots of other animals. Check prices before you buy shavings too, the two feed stores I frequent have a $2 difference in the price.

I didn't put down a heating pad, but I hang a large brooder lamp at one end of the box. There are special waterers & feeders just for baby chicks, but I found they grow so fast they outgrow them before you've gotten your money's worth.

I'm feeding medicated chick feed until they are ready to go outside, then I'll gradually move them over, first to cracked, then to whole & sprouted grains, plus all the pasture they want.

Occasionally, I'll pick up some crickets (always a hoot!) or grub some bugs up from outside to treat them. Also yogurt, older kefir & kitchen trimmings. I take out whatever they don't eat within 24 hours or if it gets poop/shavings in it.

Totally watch their butts. Out of the 50-ish I got, 12 had poopy butts the first day, then a different 10, then 5-6, then fewer each day. If you don't clean off the poop, they can die quickly.

They're addictive!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I use a heating pad, because I have several. I use them for the kitten bottle babies I raise for the animal shelter. So it works for me. I don't think it is neccessary to go out and buy one.
If you keep the chicks in the house, a simple light buld might be enough to keep them worm. I don't check the temperature, I just watch the chicks behavior. If they huddle in a pile, they are cold and you need to provide more heat.

Another item I have started to put in the box is a fuzzy stuffed animal. I pick these up for a few cents at a second hand store. The chicks snuggle up and into it.

I also feed mine kitchen scraps as they get older and definitely yougurt. They go crazy, the first time they get cooked rice. I also give them fresh fruit, 1/2 of an apple for instance and let them pick at it. Keeps them busy. I will give them whole lettuce (not iceberg) to mess with too. Or I pull out a dandelion or clump of fresh green grass.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
You may also want to get some marbles or small stones to put in thier water dish. They can easily drown in the waterers. The mables keep the water level low enough they cannot drown, but high enough they can drink from. I love baby chicks and I would love to get some, but my city limit is four.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
However many chicks you are planning on getting, get more.

That's all the advice I have for you.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It seems like everyone else got ya covered. My two cents is that I am glad I used a bulb light as it now hangs in the coop and get used when the weather is super cold or stay cold and damp for periods of time I deem as too long. That means that if we, here in Colorado, have several nights that keep dipping into the 20's and below, I'll turn it on for them at night. Most of the time, they do just fine even in the snow but I spoil my girls and clear some of the snow in the run so they have a drier area to hang.

As they get bigger and are laying, don't hesitate to feed them their own eggshells. I dry mine in the oven and then toss them out to them. They preferred the eggshells over the mashed potato leftovers I gave them the other day.

Usually when it comes to scraps, I split meat between them and the dog and veggies the dog doesn't eat (I just can't get him to eat salad, lol) between them and the rabbit. If I ever wonder if it's something they should or shouldn't have, I google it. So far, they've had coffee grounds, chickens carcasses (freaked my hubby out the first couple of times too), leftover bananas, lettuce, carrot shreds, tomatoes, oatmeal, dry oats, etc, etc.

Their waste bedding gets sent to the compost pile to make more yummy soil for my garden. We use straw for the nest boxes and shavings for the coop floor.

Oh, and you have to teach them to roost or you'll end up with dirty nest boxes. I didn't know this when I started.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Oh yea I forgot about that one. Make sure their roosts are higher up that thier nest boxes. I have one stubborn hen that insist on sleeping in the nest box and makes a big mess in it every morning. We have to make sure to clean it out everyday or we get pooy eggs. :sick She's been using the extra roost since Eva died. That will probably change after Emma is out of quarantine and gets to go into the big coop.

Ooo! And if you get one chicken, you will get more! Remember when you bring new chickens home, do not throw them all in the same run/coop at once! New birds need to be quarantined by themselves for 3 weeks to a month. This way you can observe them before they have any contact with the other birds for sickness. One little bug can knock out your whole flock! Good Luck and Happy Chicken-ing!