I finally DID IT!!!! I ground wheat and made bread!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In July I started a thread about which type of wheat to buy. I got a lot of input and ideas from lots of people.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12899

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12897

At the same time, a thread was going on about what kind of mill to buy. I got really busy, my mom decided to take my DH up on his offer to move in with us. She listed her house and it sold in two weeks. The buyers wanted her out in 3 1/2 weeks! I handed them the keys a week early. At the same time we had workmen in the house remodeling the master bedroom and bathroom. Things were kinda crazy for awhile.

Anyway, my friend and I finally made it down to the LDS bulk food Home Center in Spring and I bought wheat. I bought hard red winter wheat and hard white winter wheat. While moving mom, I found an old Vita-Mix 3600 and took it home. Today I put wheat in the thing and I got flour!! It was not a fine powdery stuff, it had wheat berry chunks in it, but it was flour! I was so excited!

I made one loaf of bread and at supper tonight, it was a big hit! It was much heavier than store bought, it had crunchy wheat chunks in it, it was chewy in a satisfying way, and it was GOOD!!!! I have unleashed my inner bread maker!! :lol: It was so FRESH! My DH said don't change anything, that bread was a winner! But of course I will make other recipes and mix up other grains. BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!

I want to strongly encourage anyone that is tired of store bought bread, to please try making your own. :ya

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Good for you! That's one thing I haven't had a chance to look into doing yet.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Good for you! I have never had to grind wheat yet, I 'd like to one day. I have a grinder for feeds and cracked grains for the livestock.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So glad your first attempt turned out so good! I am wanting to get a hand powered grinder, for SHTF purposes, but DH has kind of discouraged the idea so far. I love using whole sprouted wheat flour for bread, and I buy it already sprouted and ground. Very expensive, IMO. I haven't lost hope yet, tho, on getting a grinder. Having the vita-mix makes things simple, doesn't it?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Baking bread is one of the most satisfying things I know, and starting from scratch by grinding your own grain just makes it that much more satisfying, doesn't it?

And tasty! :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have an Excalibur grain mill that is about 20 plus years old and I love to grind my own flour for bread. My mill also has a hand crank that can be attached to the back and you can grind without power, the best of both worlds. Bread with fresh ground flour is the best. Great find on the Vita mix baymule.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
So glad your first attempt turned out so good! I am wanting to get a hand powered grinder, for SHTF purposes, but DH has kind of discouraged the idea so far. I love using whole sprouted wheat flour for bread, and I buy it already sprouted and ground. Very expensive, IMO. I haven't lost hope yet, tho, on getting a grinder. Having the vita-mix makes things simple, doesn't it?
Hmmmm.......my mother raised me on how to get my way. She said "You take a little seed and plant it in his head. Then you nurture it and water it. When it comes out of his mouth, you clap your hands and say, I am SO glad you thought of that." :lol:

Maybe you need to research the price of whole wheat versus sprouted flour, then find a good price on a mill. Nonchantly drop the idea of how much money you could save, plus having the advantage of being to grind other grains as well. My 25 pound bag of wheat cost under $12 at the LDS Home Center. That would make a lot of flour.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hey Bay, that sounds similar to what I do! :lol: I'll say I want something. Hubby says no. I'll come to him a few days later and say no problem. Next thing I know, I get it. :hide

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great method for getting him to come around to your way of thinking! My mom taught me a lot of things, but when it comes to getting DH to spend money, on anything, i feel woefully inadequate. As long as I was working, it wasn't such a big deal. If I wanted a new sofa, or whatever, I would just buy it. Not that easy now. I could write a whole page on this, but I won't.
I do know that the whole wheat is much, much cheaper than the sprouted ground. I may have to look on e-bay for a used mill, or Craigslist.
The bigger issue is that DH doesn't think there is any need to prepare for SHTF. :barnie

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you like your wheat pre-spouted then why don't you get a sprouter and a dehydrator and presprout and dry in your dehydrator your self. it has to be a bit cheaper.
I know that I've made nixtamal and after taking the outside of the corn off with the lime I dry mine super dry in the dehydrator and then it goes thru my grinder so much better.. I'm sure sprouting and drying your own wheat would taste that much better.
when I grind wheat I do run it thru my metal mesh strainers. I have sad teeth and I have to get the bigger bit of wheat out and soak them before adding to the bread. no hard crunchys for me.. ;)
I have also seen that by running thru my mesh strainers I get some of the bran seperate too. good on top or for adding to muffins.. but store it in the freezer.. I had some go icky on me..