Ideas for adding a few hundred $ in your pocket.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been thinking of making bunny and chicken nest boxes for some extra money. any other ideas along those lines?

I'm planting sunflowers this year and I'm going to give the "natural bird feeder" angle a try, depending on how many I have left after harvesting for the bunnies and chickens and ducks use.

I'm at the point where I'll do just about anything to get some extra money flowing in. I've already started getting ready for our big summer yard sale, but my garden has taken a major back seat because of all the rain we've been getting (combined with my husband being damned lazy at the most inopportune times). All I have right now is one bean plant, some lettuce and some teensy weensy carrot seedlings, all of which are in containers. My idea for selling extra produce has gone straight out the window.

I've thought about buying out clearanced wal-mart quilting kits and throwing together simple quilts in lap and childrens sizes to sell, it doesn't take me long at all to sew the pieces together and wally world also sells a batting/backing combo for cheap.

My little part time job just isn't cutting it for us.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a friend who makes some nice side money dealing in old religious books. It is a very specialized thing, but it his something he is very passionate about.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just brainstormed this one this morning, you know how people hold "spa parties" and "avon parties" and such in their home? is it reasonable to assume, in the current economic climate, that there would be a market for a "home skills" party? Teaching people how to can, how to prepare simple, good food (some people just can't cook), baking bread, chicken care 101, basic gardening, how to knit, how to crochet, etc. Obviously, you wouldn't be earning a commission for selling items, but you would be selling a skill set.

$30 per person per class, wouldn't be bad, especially if you were with them for approximately 2 hours. In a knitting or crocheting class that would cover the cost of providing them with needles and yarn while still making about $10 an hour. It could be done in your home or theirs.

Good idea, or no?

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kitchwitch said:
Just brainstormed this one this morning, you know how people hold "spa parties" and "avon parties" and such in their home? is it reasonable to assume, in the current economic climate, that there would be a market for a "home skills" party? Teaching people how to can, how to prepare simple, good food (some people just can't cook), baking bread, chicken care 101, basic gardening, how to knit, how to crochet, etc. Obviously, you wouldn't be earning a commission for selling items, but you would be selling a skill set.

$30 per person per class, wouldn't be bad, especially if you were with them for approximately 2 hours. In a knitting or crocheting class that would cover the cost of providing them with needles and yarn while still making about $10 an hour. It could be done in your home or theirs.

Good idea, or no?
I think that's an awesome idea! Especially if you did some marketing and got interest up. Hmmmm, you've got me thinking now!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I keep being told to do cooking classes. That and autie whispering, although I think that's more Auntie's line ;)

So after I get my CNA job, I'll look into setting up classes.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wasn't Freemotion using this idea with a cheese class? You might ask her how that went, I'm not sure if it happened yet or if I was reading about how she was planning it.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'll ask!!

FREEEEEEEEM!!!!

How'd the class go?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've actually thought about this, myself. Just need to figure out where to do it, and how to run it.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kitchwitch said:
is it reasonable to assume, in the current economic climate, that there would be a market for a "home skills" party? Teaching people how to can, how to prepare simple, good food (some people just can't cook), baking bread, chicken care 101, basic gardening, how to knit, how to crochet, etc. Obviously, you wouldn't be earning a commission for selling items, but you would be selling a skill set.

Good idea, or no?
I think that's a fantastic idea... I would LOVE to have someone teach me how to bake bread (I just can't seem to get the hang of anything other than putting the ingredients in my breadmachine)... and canning... I find it easier to learn hands on rather than working through a book and I really want to can TONS of stuff.

I would definitely pay money for a few classes... there's one here for 'sheep to yarn' class... where you learn to take a fleece right from a whole raw fleece to yarn... it's $85/afternoon. It's marketed as an eco-tourism thing.

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
beerman said:
I have 2 styro incubators a a gqf sportsmans I run them most of the year. l hatch chicken, duck, quail turkey. what ever I can hatch. I don't get rich but $20 here and there helps. This year I hope to sell honey from my bees :) Raising bees is easy and they are not mean, I would recommend them to anyone for some extra money and to help with pollination.
Brian
I was just saying yesterday I want bees! So can I pick your brain? What, when , how? I know basically nothing about bee keeping so tell me everything! What do I need to start? What kind of bees are best? Startup costs(high estimate please) suits? What do you wear? Is a suit totally nessecary? What to look for, do bees get sick, do you plant flowers nearby for extra good honey, and what kind? I want all your secrets! Thanks!