If you had only one acre what would you do with it?

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Satisfy my curiosity! What would you do if you only had a one acre homestead?

How would you optimize space on your one acre so that you could have some income from what you grow?

I currently have a house sitting on 1 acre of property in zone 5b with 4 chickens, a peach tree and a very reluctant husband. I've devoured every homesteading or country skills book I can find and I'm determined to have my own yak farm one day. However we all have to start somewhere and I want to know where you'd start if you were in my shoes.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a tiny suburban lot (.167th of an acre) and we are in the process of converting all lawn to growing beds.

I also have 7 ducks and 4 quail. I make money on hatching eggs from the ducks. Sometimes I sell some of my produce and herbs. Vfem sells jams and jellys. I have 2 apple trees, a pear tree and 2 grape vines. I will be selling grapes. I have trouble with 1 apple tree and 1 pear tree because of squirrels.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
there are sooo many things to consider.

1 acre is in my European way 4000 meters, being the SOB that I am, I am not trying to be offensive, spreading the love people around this forum do, but your question can be compared to: "I have a red car, how fast can it go?"

1 acre can produce probably up to 5000kg (11037lb) of orchard produce
1 acre can produce probably up to 12000kg (26488lb) of veg produce
1 acre can probably sustain with a little bought feed 1 cow which will produce up to 6000L of milk which can translate into 600KG(1324lb) of cheese

if you did the research, I am sure you get my drift? We can not answer a question, "I have a red car, how fast can it go?" without any data other then that it is red.

- It depends on how much time you can spend maintaining it (will you be working apart from it?)
-Are you willing to probably give up on vacation longer then 3 days
-Do you have outbuildings already on site that could be used as a barn?
-Are you willing to invest in building a barn/buying animals.
-What kind of land is it?
-is livestock allowed?

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My question really isn't one of "I have a red car, how fast can I go in it?" it's more of a "I'm giving you a red car, how fast can you go in it?"
;-)

My own goals are a variety of fruit trees, berry bushes and grape vines along with a massive veg garden in the front and plenty of perennial flowers. I also have 4 chickens and I'll be getting a few ducks in the spring time. The only buildings I have at the moment 1.22m x 1.8m chicken coop but this fall the chickens will be moving into a new coop (coop and run space equal to 1.8m x 3.7m). I'd love to have sheep or goats and maybe a couple turkey and some guinea fowl or quail but that will take time and convincing my unsuspecting husband :)
My property does allow for livestock but because of the layout of the property I try to be respectful of our neighbors who do live fairly close by (no roosters).

My curiosity is simply because I've poured over a LOT of books and blogs, especially blogs and many times the people writing these blogs are sitting on more acreage than I so it's difficult to assess just how much someone like me could accomplish on one acre. I know that I could do quite a bit but I want to see what other's imagination and experience could offer me in the way of new ideas.

No offense taken :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Here ya go..
http://urbanhomestead.org/

My grandma had a large lot in a suburban neighborhood and they had raspberries, apples, raised rabbits for meat, and had a very large veggie patch.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have just under 2 acres. I use half that. The rest is a slope I don't care to climb.

So lets say on the acre I use I have a huge one story house that takes up about 1/4th. A driveway that 16 ft wide an has a turn around because the fire department required it.

In the yard I have about 300 sq feet of raised beds with room for several more if I can bump my kids trampoline out.

I have a hen house, 8 x 10 with atached run. 30 some odd birds. I sell eggs for 3.00 per dozen. Usually a few a week.

A small orchard, I add a couple trees every year. Peach, apricot, plumb, 2 apples, 2 nectarines, 3 avocado, lime, lemon, grapefruit. pear. Something that was supposed to be a peach but is root stock. Looks nice. :p

I could easily add a goat house and pen near the chicken coop. My next goal actually.

So I guess what I am saying is what do you want to sell?? Only one thing or several little things? Do you want to provide for your family and just sell the surplus? Or are you looking for a business?

There are lots of things you can do with and acre.
Are you familiar with this family? http://urbanhomestead.org/

I hope some of my ideas are useful.

gina

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have .6 acres here, I'd love to have that extra .4!! I'd definitely have goats at that point (I might have them anyways...) and put in some fruit trees. I'd rather go for two acres, so I could have a mini dairy cow. Now I'm dreaming!! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1 acre with home is not that big actually.
that home, driveway, porch, etc take up a good chunk of that property. if you have a septic field planting bigger rooted trees isn't smart in that area. then you have neighbors and you must be respectful of them like you said along with your zoning regulations

Income on a 1 acre home is not going to be huge I would think

I think it more of a giant garden filled with the veggies u love to eat and preserve, some fruit trees you love, some berry bushes along the perimeter.....some chickens sure. Grazing animals will cost you money. Grazers require hay and feed if you don't have pasture so unless you want fresh goats milk for yourself, it isn't worth getting involved with those animals.

Time.....more animals u have the less u leave ur home. Simple fact.

Reluctant hubby. A hubby that doesn't like animals? Will he trim hooves etc or can u do that? etc etc etc and if hubby likes to travel, hmm u got troubles owning too many animals LOL

Layout is important of the house and driveway etc on where you can put this mini orchard, berry patch, chickens etc

You can do alot for yourself on this land but big income probably won't happen. I mean positive income vs. just selling some eggs to pay for chicken feed etc.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you don't think you will be there long, don't focus on trees. Focus on stuff that is faster growing and more profitable. You can also focus on supporting your household as well as selling for a profit...money not spent in the grocery store is money in the bank!

Every square inch can be planted in something usable. What is the climate, the market?

In my location, I might make some money on pastured eggs, but I would have to be more brutal about rotating my hens (into the freezer as soon as production drops, replacing them with younger pullets) to make a decent profit. I could probably sell bedding plants here at the highest profit margin, as this is a suburban neighborhood and they sell quite well.

Think also about permits, legalities, and such. That is why I focus on saving money with what I do here, rather than making money. I do sell a little excess stuff to cover a few critter-related expenses. For example, the spring flood of eggs paid for the pigs and the pig housing.

Our grocery bill continues to drop as more and more homesteading activities become habit.

I bet I could sell fresh catnip to a few specialty pet stores if I got off my duff. And some dried, too, if I got some creative packaging going. That stuff started with one plant and is showing up all over the property. Maybe next spring I will harvest it instead of ripping it out and cursing it!

Have you looked at the thread that mrbstephens recently started? Lots of ideas for earning with a small plot on that thread.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'll check out the thread started by mrsbstephens shortly, just wanted to stop by and say thanks.

Being able to see what other do is a big help in terms of getting my head around what I could do.