Im in need of a good bread recipe

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I really want to start making my own bread. I need a good recipe cuz if my first few tries arent so great, my DH and son will NEVER try it again. they are kinda anti-change and like their white bread and milk from the store. I would like some sorta whole wheat or part whole grain recipe. It cant be too "seedy" tho, or they wont eat it. I was thinking somethign more in the lines of slicing bread for sandwiches to start with and then once i get going on making bread, then i can get some more hearty recipies that go well with soup and butter. Im a good cook, i know my way around the kitchen, but baking bread from scratch i havent dabbled in yet. Im just starting my journey on my SS lifestyle. its going slow, but we are getting there eventually. Thanks alot!! Rach

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubs makes this when we need a less "brown" bread:

1 tbsp yeast
1/4 cup warm water

soften 10 minutes while you mix the following in a separate bowl:

2 1/2 cups hot water
1/2 cup brown sugar or honey
1/4 cup oil
1 tbsp salt

add 4 cups whole wheat flour, mix by hand (can use mixer with bread hooks)

add 1 egg and yeast mixture from first step by hand
4 cups white flour, mix in one cup at a time by hand

knead until elastic (about 10 minutes)

let rise in lightly oiled bowl for 1 1/2 hours or until double in size

punch down, form into two loaves, let loaves rise about 1 hour or again till double in size

bake 45 minutes at 375F

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Have you tried making sourdough? I like it because it don't have to buy commercial yeast for it. It's good for the hearty meals, and you can use the starter to make pancakes, cookies, cakes, etc.

Regarding your first bread attempts: Can you tell us a bit about the recipe you used? Bread is pretty simple if you understand the concept of it.

As far as sandwich bread, I'd get a few straight sided bread pans to bake in (for proper sandwich loaf). We have a bread machine as well, but the slices are an odd shape, and not really suited for sandwiches.

Google is a great resource for recipes. :)
sorry, i meant to say that IF my first attempts at bread dont turn out good, i wont be able to get them to try anything else. Which is why i want a good recipe right off the bat.

I could try sourdough, that sounds good. how do i do that? Can i just find a sourdough recipe online?