Is becoming Self Sufficient the new fad?

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think it is all kinds of factors. As a mailman I see things slowly change in the neighborhoods, I see folks who have added small gardens, chickens, water barrels, clotheslines, and another thing I noticed, and I am in the process as well, is switching from sat/cable to uhf or vhf tv antennas. Clotheslines seemed to be a big one, free drying can really help the electricity bill!

Rozzie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I think that suggesting it is all due to the economy is an oversimplification. I'd suggest there are several different causes that all happen to be occurring (to different extents, perhaps) right about now.

Examples of possibilities:

1) Economy, as discussed previously here. Obviously, this is a reason for some people, especially those who are struggling right now. This probably applies more with those who are lower income and lower-middle income who are participating in these types of activities.

2) Environmentalism & Sustainability-- I'd suggest that many people in higher income classes who are participating in these activities may be doing so for some reason that would fall into this spectrum. This would also include a lot of middle class college graduates.

3) Hobbies & Dabblers -- play a bit, but don't get serious about more than a few bits and pieces of SS. Some of these people might give an appearance of SS but be completely lost about most things. They may have a couple of fairly noticeable hobbies. They may be very public and outspoken about those hobbies. Or, they may be a hobby jumper flitting from one thing to the next without ever mastering anything...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great post Rozzie :)

I think your number two has had a huge impact on how people have changed their lives over the past number of years, and will continue to do so as "being green" becomes more and more mainstream. It is my sincere hope that people who green their lives do so with good information, and not just to hop on the bandwagon. There is so much greenwashing still going on by the large corporations--so many ads just make me sick.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There is so much greenwashing still going on by the large corporations--so many ads just make me sick.
I know! Makes me really mad.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'd like to be more "Green" but it takes too much $ green to do it. So I'll have to make stuff myself. Oops that's a cheap locavore and it's green too. Guess there is more than one way to manage it. ;). The marketing dept bigwigs will hate me.

Seriously- I don't have the budget for much organic produce, so I got 100 sq ft at the community garden last year. I was a beginner at growing lots of them, and still did pretty good. Saved plenty, and I'm still eating home made pickles. :) They were harsh (too vinegar-y) at first but are mellowing nicely.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Were we all ahead of the crowd?

I see stuff regarding becoming more self sufficient all over the internet and television.

Morning news does demos on making soap.

People are asking me how to take care of chickens.

I see a lot of lawns torn up for gardens.

Goats are the new dogs.
I think it's natural. It used to be required to survive, and then it's swung back and forth between "we're better off and don't have to live like that" convenience buying (post war and 80s) and "we're so free spirited we're going back to our roots" craftiness (60s and now).

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I agree with #2 in Rozzie's post above. That's a huge factor for me. But only one of many.

For one example, I grow and freeze/dry/can a lot of our own food. The reasons:
1. Saves money.
2. Fresher, organic, healthier.
3. It's "green" for me to reuse containers year after year after year.
4. I enjoy it. It feels very rewarding, and we eat in luxury all year long.

For another example, making soap, my reasons are quite different:
1. I want to make money.
2. I enjoy homemade soap, and now my costs are covered.
3. It is NOT green, at all. The horror of the piles of recyclable oil/fat containers in my garbage reminds me that probably corporate America makes soap much more efficiently.

Some others (drying laundry on line) are purely economic. It does NOT feel nicer to wear clothes from the line compared to the drier :)

Others are ethical (raising chickens for meat and eggs).

Others are opportunistic (making yogurt, cheese, buttermilk and butter since husband helps on a dairy farm).

Yet others are about other things (having bees, since they are in crisis right now).

So, I imagine many people enjoy dabbling, but isn't that how a lot of us started? I certainly didn't begin everything all at once. Probably many reasons for many people. I expect some will drop off, others will stay.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Rozzie said:
2) Environmentalism & Sustainability-- I'd suggest that many people in higher income classes who are participating in these activities may be doing so for some reason that would fall into this spectrum. This would also include a lot of middle class college graduates.
regarding number 2 can I just say I HATE prius drivers. I have yet to meet one I liked. They buy a darn prius and all of a sudden are so smug because they're "saving the environment". Never mind that they're also driving 45 on THE HIGHWAY because G-d forbid we let the gas engine kick on! </rant>

can you tell I was behind a prius on my way to the grocery store this morning?

In other news :YAY! I'm finally ahead of the trend! :weee

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
We grew up with parents who stock piled "EVERYTHING" and I mean everything. You didn't throw anything away because you might be able to use it to make something you needed/wanted but couldn't get/afford in a serious situation.
Well, I am 47, so my grandparents saved everything. My mom was all in to disposables. Grandma gardened and canned. Mom only did it during the Carter years because she had to. Maybe the SS gene skips a generation?
My grandma was born at the tail end of the depression, but she was the one who inspired my love of gardening, canning, sewing, and all that other ss stuff. My mom on the other hand...well her specialty was frozen pizza and poptarts :p Maybe it does skip a generation!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
I'd like to be more "Green" but it takes too much $ green to do it. So I'll have to make stuff myself. Oops that's a cheap locavore and it's green too. Guess there is more than one way to manage it. ;). The marketing dept bigwigs will hate me.

Seriously- I don't have the budget for much organic produce, so I got 100 sq ft at the community garden last year. I was a beginner at growing lots of them, and still did pretty good. Saved plenty, and I'm still eating home made pickles. :) They were harsh (too vinegar-y) at first but are mellowing nicely.
Ah, but that makes you truly "green" as opposed to commercially green-washed ;)