Is it really that hard?

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the hard part is going to be remembering to track EVERYTHING. I mean, if you even put a dash of rosemary in something, we need to write it down and find out how much a container of rosemary costs at the grocery store. Same thing with a clove of garlic, salt, or squirt of lemon juice. I'm now wondering how much my herbed baked chicken actually costs - it uses just about every spice in the cabinet!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow! That idea really took off! I am gratified that so many think it might be something to try out.
I wrote up a sample shopping list, and a week's menus, but won't be at a grocery store for several days, so won't be able to implement it for awhile.
I was working on the premise that I have nothing in the house to eat - no spices, condiments, baking powder, any of that (so will need to price these things out when I am at the market). I do have (in this theoretical exercise) a working stove and 'fridge, as well as cooking pans and pots, spoons, spatulas etc.. Also, an adequate freezer for possible leftovers. I'm not sure how many of my countertop electric gadgets I'm willing to *give up*, but I think probably all of them as I will have wooden spoons, a wire whisk, and my good right arm :lol:. I am also not pretending that I can't cook, or am starting from total scratch in the kitchen (though I know that many people on welfare are in that position).
Does anyone know - is welfare a weekly or a monthly thing usually? I mean, would this be $35/week, or $140/every 4 weeks? That would make a great difference in the shopping list. And I would definitely be upset to find that any savings at the end of the allotted time did not roll over :lol:. In my scenario they will ;)
I think either starting another thread just for this, or perhaps, as someone suggested, individual journals might be a way to keep things from getting too terribly confusing. Maybe (if individual threads) start with the *ground rules* for your particular theoretical exercise, such as I have outlined for myself, above.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, that will make it tougher, since you'll have to "buy" the whole bottle at the grocery store, even if you're growing your own in your garden. Personally, I plan to base it on how many spices I can actually buy. I'm pretty bland, so salt, pepper and hot sauce tends to get me through a lot, lol. I'm also one of those mixed seasoning buyers... I buy some spices in the 1-2lb containers that are mixed... Like Montreal steak seasoning or kickin chicken. I think for a family on a budget, especially just starting out, these mixes are the way to go. Maybe for the seasoning, maybe you could just say $2/bottle for whatever meals use different seasonings to kind of mimic a premix?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sure we could make another thread for this, then have each person do their own seperate journal for their food purchases and meals, and have the starter of the thread just put a link to each journal into the main first post.

And food stamps are alloted every month, one time per month. It's usually between the 5th and 10th of every month.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My best friend's little sister is on foodstamps. She has a husband, 2 steps and 4 kids of her own. They receive over $700 in benefits a month and can't make it.
Now for them, I have to say they just can't balance and manage. She has only one more mouth to feed, officially than I do, but that doesn't mean I don't have an extra one or 2 children, on any given day.
My friend and I have spoken often about her situation. She has tried many times to teach her sister to cook meals and not buy individually packaged junk. The whole family is obese and much of the food is wasted.
I guarantee that if I'm given $700 to spend on food, I will have a lot of food, because I will load up on staples, and then go for cheap meats and vegs in bulk and prepare it for freezer myself.
We had assistance after Katrina and I think we got 1,100 or 1,200 and it took me a good while to spend it and consume it.
I think foodstamps can be used to help someone get a good start and inable them to get where they are going, or it can be used to make them dependant on their rich Uncle Sam.
If we have a SHTF situation, I fear for my friend's sister, cuz she won't know what to do. I would hope most on the assistance use it wisely, as though it is their money and they want it to tend to them the best they can.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I'm sure we could make another thread for this, then have each person do their own seperate journal for their food purchases and meals, and have the starter of the thread just put a link to each journal into the main first post.

And food stamps are alloted every month, one time per month. It's usually between the 5th and 10th of every month.
Well, that would open up all sorts of doors. with $140 (times two, for my family) I could get a good basic stock into the kitchen, and then work from there. I somehow can't imagine that I can't feed the two of us on $280/month - not as I prefer to cook (I don't think, but don't really know; I don't actually keep track at present :hide), but certainly if I had to. We'll see. I think I will start this on Sunday, as the rest of this week will be kind of mixed up as regards cooking.
--- Added benefit for me will be that I will finally be forced into doing some menu planning, which I have been meaning to do for ages, but haven't started yet ---

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's what I figure... I can use this as an excuse to go buy some healthier foods, just to prove that it can be done, lol. I've gotten a little lazy, even though I've been out of school for about two months now... I'm still cooking a lot like I was while in school! This brings the perfect motivation to start eating right again.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok a question here......

i am beginning mystery shopping again and alot of mystery shops are reimbursement shops right so meaning this....

say i get a grocery store mystery shop and i have to spend say 10.00 in groceries but they reimburse the entire 10.00

is this all foods because i get mystery shops for mcdonalds EVERY WEEK and the kids usually eat the fast food that i get from mystery shopping as after school snacks and its free because it is reimbursed

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah its usually one lump sum monthly.

the LOWEST benefit amount (for someone with no additional income) ive seen listed is $80 per month, so mabe if $35 a week seems too easy, aim for the lower benefit amounts :)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know how to find that... Our lowest possible amount is $2... That's not possible, unless you're living completely off the land, lol. The $200/person is the amount listed for one person making under $1452, for three, that amount is under $2472 (benefit amount $526). I am currently eligible for $526, since I am below the income levels permitted, but it doesn't seem fair, because everyone else is basing it on a much lower amount. Honestly, I think it'd be harder doing it for ONE person, vs a family, since as a family you get a little more and can get the discount for larger packages of food. One person on $35/wk might not be able to even afford the "family size" packs, unless they want to eat one or two things all month.