It finally happened......

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
our heifer has come into heat....we suspected she may have had a cycle before, but never really saw signs....

this time she's showing signs i.e. has swelling but no bleeding....

but the biggest sign is.....................

she's standing at the fence by the road screaming as loudly as she can at every single car that passes by. :gig :lol: almost angry sounds, too, like c'mon and take care of this already darnit! :gig :lol:

We're putting a call into a local farmer friend who has a bull on site. ;)

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, I remember those days!! Heifers can get a little crazy when in heat, so be careful around her. Oh, and if I remember correctly, by the time you see bloody discharge, it's too late for breeding. The discharge should be clear.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If she is in heat now, sh eneeds to be bred within 18 hours. that is their window. So, unless you can get her to the breeder asap, mark on your calendar and take her three weeks from now. If she is bellowing in the morning, she needs to be bred that evening or it is too late. Same goes if she is bellowing in the evening, whe will need to be bred the following morning. My cow spen two cycles at her bullfirneds place. I thought she was inheat on friday :( I will be bringing her back an about two and a half weeks to do it all over again. I need to be sure she is knocked up.