It's almost chick time

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know it's almost chick time for everyone. Is anyone doing anything different this year with their birds?

I'll be building more coops and pens and moving birds.

We've already had our first chicks hatch here. They are a 10 days old, so them and Mama had to spend a week in a heated, sealed doghouse with the 11 degree temps. They stayed between 30 and 38 in there. Had to keep them acclimated to the cold. I just was able to carry them back over to the silkie pen today. Everyone over there was like "where have you been?". Smooth reintroduction like they weren't missing a week.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Me neither. For some time I've been thinking it could be done but didn't have the nerve to try it....I'm also going to use her to brood the chicks if they hatch, so one heating pad will do the two main jobs of a broody. I've made a wire frame work so the chicks can get under her and it's adjustable if need be, though I don't see a hen adjusting her crouch much for older chicks....they just have to crawl under there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The nest is holding temps excellently at a steady 99.5-100.0, eggs were turned and randomly shuffled so that eggs on the outside got a turn on the inside and vice versa. I'm really loving how nice the nest box is holding temps and the bedding under the nest is still moist and cool to touch.

Temps held on a steady 100.0* throughout the night, even with the ambient temps dropping 20* in the room after nightfall. We are coming to the end of the 2nd day of the hatch...only 19 more to go!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just threw a broody offa da nest! But, I'm watching your experiment closely - really impressed with what you've put together!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No hatching right now for me. I haven't gotten the breeding pairs separated. I'm hoping to pick up some wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucana chicks at the upcoming chicken show. I asked the breeder who often brings chicks and she said she hopes to have some.

My silkie chicks are a week and a half old now. Mama took them out into the grass today for a few minutes. We pick up two adult pairs of partridge silkies this weekend, and I will have to hatch eggs from them when I get enough.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen

..... we have a pip.
cool.png
Egg # 6 has decided to be first out this morning and is cheeping(heh heh...get it?

chipping/cheeping...oh, never mind...it was funny in my own mind
big_smile.png
) her way through the shell.

wee.gif

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Heating pad nest box incubation experiment is complete, total of 9 live chicks hatched using this method. Once it was streamlined and I learned how to use it, it was extremely easy and stable to use, only added water to the soil at the beginning while building my nest and then didn't have to add anymore humidity. The box held temps extremely well and it was easy to find the right temps on the controls.

Had a great time experimenting with this new method and will be using it again next month to hatch out my first heritage line Plymouth White Rocks from breedings done here on my land.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not doing anything until it gets warmer and I get them moved. Right now, I'm not even getting any eggs!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did something different this year. I ordered 17 Pekins and 3 fawn and white Runner ducks. I don't have the room for all those, so I'm only keeping the 3 runners for eggs and entertainment. The Pekins are slaughter ready at 7-12 weeks and will be sent to that lovely duck resort called freezer camp.