It's Just DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Because "our" English is such a hodge-podge of English and other languages and dialects and regional short-cuts, we end up with some really strange phrases that may make more sense if you follow them through to their probable origin. "How come?" may have originally been "How has it come to be that....?" I find all the archaic phrases kind of funny and interesting. What REALLY annoys the crap out of me is people who "rattle on" like a car that continues to run after you turn the ignition off. They keep on talking way past when they should have shut up. I had an acquaintance who would add "and all that" every few words. She would say loudly "I went to the doctor and all that today, and all that, and he said my blood pressure and all that is up again and all that. And all that." Sent pains right to my eyeballs. Sometimes we would chime in and say "and all that" right along with her. She never caught on.:/

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Because "our" English is such a hodge-podge of English and other languages and dialects and regional short-cuts, we end up with some really strange phrases that may make more sense if you follow them through to their probable origin. "How come?" may have originally been "How has it come to be that....?" I find all the archaic phrases kind of funny and interesting. What REALLY annoys the crap out of me is people who "rattle on" like a car that continues to run after you turn the ignition off. They keep on talking way past when they should have shut up. I had an acquaintance who would add "and all that" every few words. She would say loudly "I went to the doctor and all that today, and all that, and he said my blood pressure and all that is up again and all that. And all that." Sent pains right to my eyeballs. Sometimes we would chime in and say "and all that" right along with her. She never caught on.:/
:lol:

I used to date a guy who would follow everyother sentence with "and all that stuff". We eventually broke up "and all that stuff" LOL

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Her ENGLISH TEACHER for Pete's sake. How is she supposed to TEACH English if she can't SPEAK it?
Well.... MY fifth grade english teacher said "whom is not a word in the english language" when I used it in writing and that "amongst is only a poetry word"....

I went to war against her. Actually, she is pretty much why I gave up entirely on school.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Improper grammar drives me crazy, but I try to keep my correcting of it to my own children - and I try to teach them in a loving way that it's not "how come" it's "why" etc.

But, I'll admit my favorite phrases to laugh at or use or snicker behind my hand over are, "I tell you what" and "Bless your heart" :gig

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:
... The ones that really grate on my nerves are "like", "you know", and the misuse of then andI don't think I've ever heard "continue on" than. When someone uses like several times in a sentence ("I was like", "She was like", "I'm like") it makes my stomach muscles tighten and I completely loose track of what the person is saying. I catch myself thinking "didn't these people EVER go to school?"
I'm one of those people who uses "like". I know I do it, bad habit, am trying to control it. I am a college graduate and should know better.

The one that bugs me the most is "I could care less". If someone could care less, that means they do care. What they mean to say is "I couldn't care less".

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Grammar is not my strong point, but there is no way my teachers would have allowed me to speak the way I hear so many these days. I am quite certain I would have had my tongue ripped out. After all, what is the point of having one if you aren't going to use it properly. :lol:

I enjoy the regional differences.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
FOR SELL makes my eyes bleed
A local business recently opened and had a new sign painted. At the bottom, it says BUY SALE TRADE. I wonder if the painter knew it was wrong and didn't want to offend his customer.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Huh?! What's wrong with ya'll? Aint ya'll ever said something wrong incorrectly? I could care less about grammar and all that stuff. An what's all this "speak" mombo jombo, I just talk and what comes out comes out. I don't "keer", it's all American to me. I can take it nor leave it ever which way. :p

Some of you should try living in the south. It's a grammatical/pronunciation free for all. :lol:

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Huh?! What's wrong with ya'll? Aint ya'll ever said something wrong incorrectly? I could care less about grammar and all that stuff. An what's all this "speak" mombo jombo, I just talk and what comes out comes out. I don't "keer", it's all American to me. I can take it nor leave it ever which way. :p

Some of you should try living in the south. It's a grammatical/pronunciation free for all. :lol:
Born and raised in the south.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It is not just you. Stuff like that bugs me too. I just have a way of talking about it that ends up offending someone so I try to tolerate it. I don't judge anyone by the way they type on here. Unfortunately in the past on other threads I've come across as if I do :(
I work in a high school where some of the stuff I hear makes me want to stick knitting needles in my ears.