Jellies, Jams and Conserves, Oh My!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used one pack of gelatin and it's still pretty liquid. I'll wait out the 2 weeks and see if it sets up and let y'all know

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:fl wishing best of luck!

Just curious do you use the liquid pectin or the powdered?.?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used liquid pectin, and today L decided we needed to add another package. So we added more pectin, more sugar, and reprocessed. I did the spoonful-on-a-plate test and I think it will turn out great this time. We did the same to the plumeria jelly we made the same day, using the same recipe.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woot!!

I found a watermelon jelly recipe that I'm gonna try to make again soon, the first batch was very syrupy :'(

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope it works this time. It seems to me like the pectin isn't as strong as it used to be or something- I invariably need at least 2 packages. L tried to make grape jelly using Welch's unsweetened grape juice and she finally gave up 4 packages later, with so much sugar added that it tasted kinda like a grape candy lollipop.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wonder if that is the case, that maby the pectin isn't as strong as it used to be? Most newer recipes seem to call for 2 packs

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm wondering...Did you double up your recipe because this often causes the pectin not to set or has your pectin expired? Does pectin expire, I don't know if it does or not. Well anyway, just a couple of thoughts. I had muscadine jelly not set up because of one of these reasons and I use low-sugar pectin but if made great pancake syrup.