Jess172 journal: I want to do it all!

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We made a window on the back side and have been cracking the door and opening the window for air circulation. No problems with birds getting in so far but I'll keep in mind the using the chicken wire in case they start. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had a stupid ground hog that tunneled into mine! I'm glad it decided to move on.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh my! I hadn't even thought about that happening.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had three nice days at the beginning of the week and then two full days of storms. Now it's quit storming but not as warm as it was at the first of the week. I went from wearing short sleeves, to a rain coat and now back to long sleeves. Guess I can't complain too much. I'd rather have thunder storms than snow any day.
So it turns out that I am actually able to grow something. I have sprouts on almost all of my seeds. Now we'll see if I can grow them to full size plants. :fl
Me and hubby went to rural king last night to get some more pine shavings because I'm expecting more, yes more, chicks Monday and I wanted to get their brooder ready over the weekend. As usual we took the kiddos over to see the baby chicks, and of course look for ourselves. Now, I've been really good at looking at chicks multiple times a month and not buying anything. But, last night we glanced into the bantam box and noticed some fluffy little feather footed chicks that I couldn't pass up. So I got all they had which was 7 :hide After I get my hatchery ones Monday I'm done getting chicks this year. Just gotta keep telling myself that. Chicken math got the best of me that's for sure. But here's a pic of one of the ones I got last night.
image.jpg

They seem to be doing pretty good. I had to treat 3 for pasty butt as soon as I got them home last night but they haven't had it since then. :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Any idea of what breed it is? I know TSC sells both silkies and bantam cochins, both of which have the feathered feet. I'd like to get some of the cochins one day, but don't know if they'd let me handle the chicks. And I don't know if they'd know how to tell the difference.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Jess sure sounds like you are starting out right! :)

Deb, If they won't let you pick 'em up, the employees will usually pick 'em up and let you look. The last time I wanted silkies, I told them to just grab me all the fluffy ones with five toes and black skin. They learned something and I got what I wanted. Win-win!

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are going to be white silkies. Like frustratedearthmother said they have 5 toes and black skin. They are a really light color, even though they look yellowish in the pic. Which would be great if I'm right because i was really wanting some silkies, but there were never any available when I placed my orders.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Guess I don't have to edumicate you on how to tell if they're silkies or not! I've had to do that B4 when places are selling chicks. :D

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's what came in this morning:
image.jpg

:love These are my last batch of chicks that I have coming from hatcheries. I got pearl white leg horns, golden polish and a mystery chick. Here's the mystery one:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Someone on BYC suggested silver sebright bantam. Looks pretty close. What do y'all think?
My Rouen ducks shipped out today. :woot I think I'll probably get them Wednesday.
Made a grow out pen for the two week old chicks today. Just an old dog pen and plastic on the floor. We pulled it up around the sides a little bit incase any chick tried to escape and to help hold heat some.
image.jpg

We will see how well it works.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Looks like a nice set up. I'm needing to think about what I'm going to put my ducklings in-they're supposed to hatch out this weekend!