Kitchenaid mixer blades.. which one is better.?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a question for the kitchenaid mixer owners.. I have noticed what everyone one else has that I do a ton of stopping/scraping down/starting again when mixing and want to pick up one of the rubber edged mixing blades for it.. there are basically two types.. the sideswipe and the beaterblade. there are good reviews and bad reviews on both and I figured that if anyone would know it would be here.. I am leaning towards the sideswipe from what the youtube videos show it seems to really work well. a tad better than the beater blade.. but what do you all have and why do you like it.?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a BeaterBlade with the rubber edge. It works very well for my 6 quart bowl. Make sure you buy one for the size of bowl you have. they do come in different sizes.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks that is the first thing I did is write down the numbers that I need for my pro600. I may just buy them both and return the one I don't like haha.. or use them both you never know.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just have the plain beater blade that came with it, and the whip. Think I've only used the whip twice. My next investment is gonna be a dough hook. But then I use the attachments more than the mixer any way...at least during canning season.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
I just have the plain beater blade that came with it, and the whip. Think I've only used the whip twice. My next investment is gonna be a dough hook. But then I use the attachments more than the mixer any way...at least during canning season.
Make sure you get the pigtail one.. it does a great job with kneading and it doesn't seem to creep up the hook. My friend has the hook and I got the pigtail one and it doesn't creep at all like hers.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks, Emerald! I wondered what the difference was between the two. I've always just kneaded by hand, but decided it might be easier and faster if I could let my noodle dough go in the mixer while I was rolling and cutting the first batch.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can knead all my doughs by hand and they turn out nice but my hands are getting to the point that they go numb and when not numb they(and my arms) hurt due to nerve damage from a car accident (years ago) and of course.. that "getting old" thing. haha.. I have an old oster bread maker that makes great dough but crappy bread.. so I just mix my recipes in the machine on dough setting and then after it beeps I cut and form it into what I want. I have to say the kitchen aid does a good job too but I am still tweeking the recipes for that monster!
my bagels never had the best consistancy with hand kneading but turn out great when I put them thru the bread machine. Family favorite is sharp cheddar jalapeno bagels.
I just out and out bought the side swipe cuz I liked the way it looked.. it should be here next thursday. I need it for my thanksgiving cooking(at least that is my story and I'm sticking to it :p )
Had grand daughter all last week and untill tuesday this week.. (I need a vacation now) and she had so much fun in my tiny kitchen helping. I just bought her some of those cheap halloween printed cookies at the store on sale so we made those and I have to say.. she did well for only being 4.. so I may mix up my cookie dough and have ready to roll and cut and have a cookie day soon at her house(they have big counter and table). I'll bring the stuff and she can help me bake them. in a year or so more she will be able to help with the measuring and getting the mes en plas going. should help with fractions and numbers haha.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
An update.. I love the side swipe one and it held up to the stiff cookies dough and all the pie fillings and it does keep stuff off the side of the bowl and I don't have to keep stopping and starting to push stuff back down. It seems very sturdy even tho the whole thing is not metal. if it ever breaks I'll let everyone know.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just want to know if anyone has a meat grinder attachment for my old K45SS that they don't use and would sell me cheap!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
I just want to know if anyone has a meat grinder attachment for my old K45SS that they don't use and would sell me cheap!
haha!!!! ME FIRST!!! :lol:
I have to say tho I have a new one that I got to go with my mixer and it works rather well. I still would like an older all metal one! ;)