Ladies only!!!!!

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found an awesome blog post about making your own menstrual pads! For washable pads from Gladrags they run about $20 for only 3!! I kmow some people prefer the moon cup but for those of us who use pads this is a great upcycle and keeps countless 'sanitary' napkins out of landfills.

http://www.biblicalscholarship.net/menses.htm

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made my own pads ages ago and they held up very well. My eldest daughter started recently and I ended up ordering her some "cute" pads from mama bear wear on etsy. I was willing to pay for a supply of cute ones because I wanted to celebrate her step into womanhood with her. I still thought they were very reasonable priced, and I loved the design, with the center unfolding for faster dry time. If need be, I can probably duplicate her pattern, but I do like to support hardworking ladies when I can.

As I have to do so much laundry on a daily basis, I just always toss them in the washing machine with the regular loads and they clean up very nicely and easily.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I've used a diva cup now for years, and won't go back. If I had to use some sort of pad, I'd use disposable. Most women are far too uncomfortable with their own bodies, which is a shame. When I switched to the diva cup, my cramps went from being a full 24 hours of really really annoying pain down to 12 hours of much more manageable pain. Very interesting! I like the diva cup because it gets boiled to clean it, which is helpful. I've had mine for probably 5 or 6 years now.

plucker

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New here and this is my first post. I warn you now, I type poorly so please forgive spelling errors, they're really typing errors.

I have begun experimenting with homesewn pads in the last few months. Never thought I would because I was grossed out, but then I decided to get over it. Fabric pads do require more work and more preparation, but the benefits, I think, are worth it.

I did not sew anything fancy. Just a plain rectangle of fabric (flannel), about 2.5 - 3 inches wide and 8 or 9 inches long. It's doubled, basically a fabric envelope open on one long edge. Into this opening I can insert inner absorbent layers, also of flannel. I can insert as many as I think I need. This way there is never more than 2 layers of fabric sewn together that need to dry. No thick pads.

I considered different fasteners but in the end went with a method I have not seen suggested anywhere else (I might have overlooked it). Medical tape. I buy it at the dollar store, the kind to stick bandages to skin with. Sort of transparent. I put about a 1 inch piece to the front and back edge of the pad, taping it to my panties. I have never had the tape pull off (cotton panties, might pull off synthetic panties easier). Keeps my pads securely in place. If you buy good quality tape it is VERY sticky and you can have a bit of a time getting it off.

If I am really motivated I pre-cut the tape and stick it to a layer of parchment paper. The paper you use to line baking dishes with. The tape will stick until you peel it off, like a sticker, and use it to tape your pad down.

My flow is of the medical emergency type so I have not been able to do away with disposables completely. I put on a disposable in the morning then tape my fabric pad to it. The disposable acts as an emergency barrier because there is no way that any cloth pad, no matter how thick, would do the job alone. So I use one disposable pad per day (or day and night, 24 hours). But since adding the fabric, I do not have that itchy, irritated thing going on, do not smell as bad, and best of all, no night overbleeds!! I feel better about using only 4 disposable pads per period instead of many, many more.

It has taken me a few times to figure out what works and what doesn't. I made liners out of quilt batting, but some if it has practically zero absorbency. I threw them out and made all new liners out of flannel. Flannel pad, flannel liner inserts. I made all my seams top stitched to remove bulk. Zig zagged everything. A serger would have been perfect but I don't have one. Made do with what I had. Am a quilter so had all sorts of odd flannel kicking around.

Wash by hand and yes, it's a bit of a task, but not impossible. Bathing the dog is more work! If anyone is struggling with wings and snaps and fancy stuff, not necessary. Straightforward, tape it down, works for me! Hope it works for you too!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was reading it and love it. But I haven't 'flowered' since sometime over the summer :( Come on you young women.....someone has to give this a shot!!! Confession time: I have used cloth diapers and folded face towels, myself. I figured, if my babies were wearing cloth, what business did I have wearing disposable. Besides I was always broke at the time.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I might be taking a week off from work soon and plan on cranking out my own version with wings like disposable ones and snaps on those to hold it in place essentially using my panties for a pattern

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I could turn my girls on to this, I would in a heart beat. One of them, uses the most expensive stuff on the market.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My mother and i both have skin sensitivities. traditional pads rub raw and make me itch. Tampons pinch like no other if i move wrong. it just plan sucks