Lady Henevere: Year in review

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if I saw someone peeing in my bushes, I would say ---"oh HELL NO...move on and don't be peeing here ever again, no doing that again!!" then come inside and write it on this forum just to tell everyone someone dropped their drawers and peed in my bush :lol:

just another pain in the butt situation in life. ugh

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"I have been around this site for a couple of years and I have never done a journal, thinking I'm not the "blogging" type, and who really cares about reading about my life anyway?"

I'm excited that you're sharing. Shooot, I say take it beyond "journaling" and do a blog. That way you can make a lil $ AND share with the WWW your experiences. Just a thought and it takes no more time than your journal. Simply get yourself a URL.

Happy writing and sharing!

L

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd have invited her to knock on the door next time she needed to go potty and let her use the bathroom....but then, that's just me. I have nothing in my bathroom that anyone could steal except maybe toilet paper. :p

Pee is pee but I would have objected to the TP left behind....not right. :/

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I haven't found any additional TP in the yard lately. Hopefully I didn't traumatize the little old lady. (I still feel kinda bad for yelling.)

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did you know if you buy fresh basil from the store, it stays fresh longer if you put it in water, like flowers in a vase? And did you know that if you leave it there a while, it grows roots? I learned both of those things about a year ago, and I'm so glad because basil is so much better when it's fresh and not wilty-gross.

This last batch I left in the water for a while and it grew some major roots. Roots that spoke to me. Roots that said they didn't want to die; they wanted to be in soil. (Yeah, I may be a little crazy.) So I listened, and I planted them.

But I didn't want the basil to be lonely. So I added some herbs from the nursery -- oregano, mint (that stuff will grow anywhere, right?) and a pretty type of sage. It all went into a pot (maybe a gallon-size or so), and voila -- a tiny kitchen herb patch.

I have them in the sunniest window I have which happens to be right next to the sink (I can't even stand there and do dishes on a winter afternoon without covering the window -- it's blinding.) I have not grown herbs inside before, and I'm not sure whether my little garden will survive the shortening of the days, but hopefully they can get what they need in that spot. For now, it's a happy little sight!
1119_img_1397.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have discovered from working in our community greenhouse that if you have fluorescent lighting that will give plants the kind of light they need, but of course in the greenhouse the lights are much closer to the plants. Let's hope your little herb garden works!

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You will really enjoy that- I think it will spend the winter on your counter, no problem. I wanted to grow some lemongrass. I bought a bunch of it from the grocery (not a root in sight) and popped it into a vase filled with water. In very short order I had enough roots to plant in the garden. It grew happily all summer, and has been harvested for tea. Enjoy your herbs!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I wish I had a kitchen window that got sun. I love my wrap around covered porch - but it does make it hard to grow house plants.
Any house plants I have only have 2 window choices. And neither are close to the kitchen. I think yours will do well through the winter.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our sweet pet rabbit Lucky died last week. She will be sorely missed by our family.

The story of Lucky begins with our next-door neighbors and their cats, Peter and Kitten. Peter was a sweet old cat who loved our abandoned backyard before we moved in, and then he hung around with us after we started cleaning up out there. He would come over to DD's birthday parties and hang out with the guests, calm and happy to have the attention. Kitten was younger and flightier, never hanging around for affection, but off chasing whatever he could find.

Peter eventually got sick and died, and the neighbors got a new kitten named Rudy. Apparently Kitten felt a little jealous, or maybe he felt like it was time for him to step into Peter's old shoes and start acting like the adult cat. So Kitten started bringing home "gifts" to his family -- dead mice, lizards, not-so-dead rats, etc. One day he brought home the biggest gift of all -- a baby black and white dwarf bunny, the length of my hand.

The neighbors didn't know what to do with it, so they called us and we agreed to take her. She was only slightly injured; an abscess formed where the cat's teeth had scratched or punctured her back, but she was otherwise fine. We called her Lucky -- lucky to be alive. We tried to find out if anyone in the neighborhood was missing a bunny, to no avail. So she became our pet, and we kept her for the next eight years or so.

Lucky was as sweet as could be. She lived as a house bunny for a while, hopping around the den and sleeping on her favorite spot -- the arm of the couch. She loved to be petted, and when we would watch a movie or something she would hop up on the couch next to us and allow herself to be stroked for hours. She would come running to say hello when she saw us, and she was generally a happy pet.

A friend of the family was moving and couldn't take their rabbit, so Dexter the bunny came to live with us. Dexter was also quite a sweetie, and after getting to know one another Dexter and Lucky were the best of friends, grooming one another and chasing each other around. We decided to house them outside, and built them a hutch with a play yard surrounded by buried fence. They happily began working on a trade network to China, doing their best to dig straight through the center of the earth. (We would cover the holes up once in a while and they would have to begin again, but they never seemed to mind.) It was a happy bunny life.

The other morning I went to let the rabbits out of their hutch for the day and Lucky didn't get up to greet me. I reached over to pet her, thinking she was sick, and she was cold. I don't know why she died; perhaps something scared her in the night, and she was old enough that her heart gave out. She never seemed sick or in pain, and for that I am so thankful.

I am grateful we had Lucky for the time we did -- she was a sweet, wonderful pet. RIP.