Lip fold pyoderma in dogs

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dog has lip fold pyoderma. It's kind of a fungal infection where her tooth hits the fold in her lower lip. It bleeds and will get pus in it. Unfortunately, the vet said that the only way to fix it permanently is surgery! She did a round of antibiotics which cleared it right up, but it's back again now. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I worry about it getting infected. Anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions about home treatment?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just googled it, and it says there si a fold in the dogs bottom lips where saliva pools. It is very moist with little chance to adry out, which makes it a great place for yeast and other stinkies to set in. It says that wiping the fold, allowing it to dryout will help, but surgery is the best option as it removes the extra fold of skin so no moisture can get trapped in ther making it prone to infection. i would wipe it and see how that works for you.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been trying to keep her lip dry, and use this hydrocortisone spray the vet prescribed. I was out of town for the past week, and DH is not so good about paying attention to those details.