low intervention births ( carryover from BYC)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Was doing some reading today on vitamin D3 and a recent report stated that women with low vitamin D3 levels were nearly three times more likely to undergo c-section. Vitamin D supplementation is recommended thoughout pregancey but the 400iu dosage is insufficient to bring someone out of a deficiency state. . 2000 to 5000 iu are generally now suggested.

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just had my first little girl 8 weeks ago with a midwife- and she was amazing! We are so happy we went that route. I'm in Ontario (like pat) and midwifery care is covered by the province. Not only were they (I had a primary midwife and a secondary) great throughout the whole pregnancy, from 8 weeks onwards but the aftercare they provided was wonderful. I had DD in the hospital (despite wanting a homebirth) because she had an abnormal ultrasound, and had to stay a full 24 hours because I was GBS+. My midwife came to my house the day after we got home, two days later, another two days after that, and then the following week, etc. I could stay at home in my jammies cuddled up with Clara and not worry at all about going out for check-ups.

If, and when we have another little one we are definitely using a midwife again, and planning a homebirth (probably a waterbirth). With Clara, I was in active labour for a couple hours, pushed for another couple, and all I needed was one stitch! I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle the pain, but it was doable- as other posters have said, it's pain with a definite ending, and once I had that set in my mind, I only had to endure it. I thought being at the hospital would make me consider the drugs more, but truthfully, they never even crossed my mind- I was too busy focusing on the kiddo :p If I have the next one at home, then I am hiring a postpartum doula to look after me and the baby for the first 24 hours. To do the laundry, bring us yummy food, and keep an eye on our health.

My family thought homebirth was pretty out there, so we decided not to tell them what we were planning. Better to beg forgiveness, then ask permission. We were just going to say that she came so fast that we felt more comfortable staying at home then driving the 30 min to the hospital.

We were slightly disappointed that our homebirth didn't happen this time around, but Clara is totally healthy and happy and that's all that really matters in the end.

Ps. I knew our midwives were the ones to go with after our first meeting. They had Weston price foundation fliers, copies of Nourishing Traditions to lend out, and discussed the benefits of raw milk and kefir with me! :cool:

A great book to read if you are thinking about having a little one is "Real Food for Mother and Baby" by Nina Planck.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought about doing a homebirth with my daughter but, in the end, I was really glad I was in the hospital. Everything about her birth could not have gone more beautifully. My water broke on the toilet (same as with my son), 2 contractions later her head was out and one more and I was done. Where it all went wrong was that I had inexplicable, extremely heavy bleeding and in the end lost 1/2 my blood volume. Luckily, I didn't need a transfusion. I ended up with a cook catheter after a D&C where they could just not figure out what was wrong.

It wasn't until afterward that I found at that the massive doses of Evening Primrose Oil I was taking may have been the culprit. I was so worried that my second labor would run as long as my first (24 hours) that I took well above the recommended dosage. I found out that it can cause clotting issues with some women. I don't blame the EPO by any means but I will never again take a doseage that is above the recommended dose.

My daughter's labor was 4 hours from first "real" contraction. I have a high pain threshhold so I may have had them prior but couldn't feel it. The nurses almost didn't believe that I was in labor with my daughter because the worst I said was, "ouch, that one hurt" once. When they checked they realized I was at 10 and she was almost ready to crown (prior to bag of waters breaking).

With both of my children, the water didn't break until they were almost ready to crown and I really think that, somehow, made all the difference in my pain level.

In future, I will deliver again at the hospital just for safety's sake. I will leave my home immediately at first contraction, though, as I almost had my girl in the car. I was in my delivery room maybe 30 minutes before she was born.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I definitely read this entire thread last night while watching SVU, completely interesting dream with me having a child!

But I really think I want to do a water birth at a birthing center, there have been some complications in both me and my fiances mothers births that make me need to be at a medical center.

Oh and doulas sound amazing.

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am excited for your baby planning days!!

With my DS I had a normal hospital birth, (crappy hospital). Didnt leave me alone, labored for 22 hours and pushed for 3. They used all their tools to get him out, finally there he was. With forcep marks on his cheeks and bumps on his head for the vaccum. I of course tore before they could do anything. However, I had a beautiful little boy who was obvisouly on his own clock. (still is, he's 8).

My Dh and I tried for 3 1/2 for DD. finally only with meds I was pregnant!!. and I wanted something calmer with my her. Where I was in control! Maybe a home birth? So I asked just about everyone I know about their experiences and the local hospitals, and I changed hospitals and DR.'s. We got fabulous nurse, (named Janine) she was like my personnal nurse, what ever I needed she was there for me. My DD was born on friday the 13th, I was not concerned about this date... YET. I was doing fine, dialated to 5, and then monitors went crazy! Nurse Janine checked to see my progess, and I had a prolasped cord, Which means it wrapped around her neck prior to coming down the vault, and I was delivering the cord and placenta before the baby. It was unknown how long it was around her. They rushed me in to the OR. Gave me some shots in the hip and up'd my IV and restrained me.

I remember laying there stareing at the lights and praying, God please let my baby be alive. Within 3 minutes my DD was deliveried via c-section. she was blue and quite. I was screaming. DH was crying and rubbing my cheeks. Finally she cried! It was the most beautiful cry in the world. They cut her cord and then took her away with DH. He than got to bathe her and 'recut' the cord.
We were in the hopital for 4 days, they monitored her very closely!

Today she is almost 3 and I still LOVE her cry. It is a true gift.
I to this day will always thank God and that obgyn OR staff for their knowledge and undevided attention. The cheif of the hosptial came to meet "the girl". He sayed prolasped cords happed once or twice a year, and the outcome is never good, they are either brain damaged or dead. I recieved a welcome home card sign by each nurse and Dr. (it took 5 DRs) that assited with my birth.

If I was at home my baby would have died. Because of my experience I am a HUGE hospital advicate!! It may only happen once or twice a year, or on friday the 13th, but either way.. I have a beautiful healthy baby girl because I was in the hospital!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One should never underestimate a womans intuition on when and where to have her baby. To not follow your intution could bring serious consequences when that intuition is strong.

Many women don't get strong intutional messages about events so sound advice is merited and needed.

In my own case, where I have had two c sections, during a visualization process during a birthing class for the first baby we were asked to visualize our baby coming out. I have a very strong visualization capacity but no matter how hard I tried I could not see my baby coming out, but in the end I could see me holding him, and yes, I knew it was a him. I always knew I would have two boys, and I have.

Turns out I couldn't see him coming out cause my pelvic outlet was too small. My midwife later during an routine exam expressed some concern, but said it often changes during the birthing process... hey, but not for me. I am glad I tried a home birth. I would have always been left wondering if I had not. When I did eventually go to the hospital I had a doctor who was willing to let me try my pelvis and to progress the labor with pitocin, a hormone that brings on strong labor. As long as the babies heart rate was good he said I could try hard labor. I did about four hours of it before I screamed uncle and started begging for the surgical suite.

Forcepts and suction would not be an acceptable solution for me. I would prefer a c-section. The greatest risk of a c section is to the mother. Most babies get through it just fine without the trauma of forcepts and suction. Forceps births a quite high risk and most doctors will avoid it these days if they can.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is an inteview of Pete Peterson, one of the most brilliant men on our planet today. In it he gives a story of how to bond to babies, and relates Madonna's story of bonding with her baby and the impact that it has on developing intelligence.

This is part 3 of a series, the other parts are well worth watching also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIlUMS_Q3g

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey horse - I am sorry I did not have a doula - I think you mean some one else.

OK here goes: I am small. I think all women should know that not all women's bodies are the same. Some of us are built better for birthin' babies than others. Had I lived even 50 years ago I would not have survived childbirth. Maybe that is nature's way of preventing poor genetic stock, but I am grateful for the interventions!

I developed a clotting disorder during the pregnancy. And I had (I forget the word now) the endless constant vomiting. I started out weighing about 110 lbs. At five months pregnant I weighed 100 lbs. I got put in the hospital for the vomiting and the dehydration. We got that all calmed down when I started having trouble breathing. All women start panting as their lungs get squished, but I was only maybe six months along. The doctor said it was just because I was small. Then I started fainting. Alot.

Finally (bless my DH) hubby had a fit at the OB that none of my symptoms were "normal" and he wasn't paying enough attention. The OB listened to my chest for a moment and off to the hospital I went! For reasons no one is sure of yet, my lungs had started to fill with fluid. I was drowning internally. They soon discovered that my heart, instead of being pushed upward as is normal, had shifted over to one side and was now essentially upside down! They suspect this is what caused the edema. (It is very concerning when the cardiologist is doing an echocardiogram and cannot find your heart! LOL!)

So, we focused on keeping me healthy and I got shots twice a day, and my no medication plan was out the window. I was taking all kinds of stuff to keep the oxygen level to the baby high. I wore and finger oxygen thingy to measure my levels most of the time.

In and out of the hospital right up to the day! We knew by then that I was not going to be able to handle a long labor and we also knew by then that I had an inadequate amount of amniotic fluid and that she was heads up! So a C section was the way to go. But, I went into labor anyway! SO we got to the hospital and I felt this tremendous pain in my chest. I thought it was labor but it hurt so bad I finally said something about the pain in my chest being worse than the contractions and everyone freaked out. I was having a heart attack.

I was sped into surgery. I remember very clearly one moment of clarity. There were like 20 people in the room and the anesthesiologist and my husband were arguing that this was now major surgery and he could not stay and he said he wanted to be there for the baby when she was born. The OB and cardiologist were standing there the OB with a scalpel over my belly saying are we ready are we ready. And I said, "Am I supposed to still be here for this part?" LOL! I am not sure what I was thinking I was afraid he would start cutting while I was still awake I guess. That is all I remember. I woke up two days later.

DH said they knocked me out completely because spinal blocks cannot be done when you have blood thinners on board. The OB cut me and started taking the baby out when I stated fibrillating. The neonatal team scooped DD up and started their whole deal and scooted incubator and neonatal team and DH out of the room. He said it was the hardest thing he had ever done, but I had made him promise me that once she was outside of my body his job was to tend her. Later the nurses told me how they all were so surprised because she was breathing too fast and her heart rate was off the charts and they were afraid she was going to seize when he leaned over the incubator and started to sing to her. She immediately calmed down and everything slowed and she pinked up. The nurse said she had never seen so clear a sign that a baby recognized her father's voice like that. :love

Obviously, I lived. I have scarring on my heart, but recovered fairly well. When we started to discuss having another child my OB fired me. He refused to be my doctor if I got pg again. We interviewed six different drs. Finally, I met with one who read my entire record and said the event s of my pregnancy were unlikely to reoccur. He was right. I had a fairly uneventful, normal pregnancy and a long painful but fairly normal VBAC delivery. There were still 20 people in the room! LOL!

Both kids are fine. We all lived = happy ending.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a wonderful story! It just goes to show that modern medicine is a wonderful, miraculous thing. And that when used in appropriate measures it is the way to go. I love how you didn't give up when your ob fired you! Your story also shows that we know our bodies better than doctors! That is truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing it. :)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I found out four weeks ago that I'm now pregnant with my first baby. I would love to have a midwife, or go to a birthing center... but they do not exist anywhere near our house. They are also not covered by our medicare system, and without medicare there is no way I could afford to have the baby anywhere but a hospital.

The closest hospital with a labour and delivery is 2 hours from my house, and that's where I'll have to go. There just aren't the options for me. I'm comfortable with the hospital choice though, because it's my first and right now my feelings vary between absolutely excited to absolutely terrified. I think that being in the hospital will give me a sense of comfort, knowing that should I want/need any interventions they are there... at this point though I plan on going as naturally as possible.

Latest posts