Making your own clothes... Is it hard??

fancie217

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have never used a sewing machine, but am thinking of borrowing one from my mom to learn from... But she really dosen't have time to teach me. What steps should I take to learn how to make my own clothes? Is it easy enough to self teach? Any books I should get??

steps I should take.. anything helps.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
See what your library has -- there are lots of "learn to sew" type books and probably most of them would suit your needs. I do highly recommend reading a few basic books, not just going out and buying a pattern, but provided you *do* some reading, and start with easy-to-sew fabric and simple patterns, it is definitely something you can learn yourself! :)

I would recommend starting out with very simple "big flappy" nontailored pants with an elastic waistband. A simple pattern of short-sleeved shirt is also not too hard, it just has more pieces and more details. Pick one with the simplest possible collar and no pocket. Or a simple basic t-shirt pattern is also pretty easy to start with -- the structure and assembly is simpler, but there is a little more of a learning curve involved in working w/knits than with wovens as you'd use for the other two things.

Most companies label their simplest easiest patterns as such, so look for those. Read the back of the pattern package to make sure you are buying appropriate fabric - pushing the envelope of fabric suitability will just frustrate you!

Actually finding good fabric is the hardest part of learning to sew, these days. It seems like almost all the small fabric stores have gone out of business, and the fabric sold at places like Joanne's and Walmart is *terrible* quality. If you happen to know someone with an older 'stash' of fabric they're looking to give away, snap it up, as it is probably quite a lot better stuff (structurally) than 95% of what you can now find.

(e.t.a. - to get the hang of using the sewing machine, read a book and then get some cheap spare fabric and make a few pillows. It will get you used to how your machine behaves, and when there are 'bumps in the road' it won't be as aggravating as if you were working on a garment. And that way you can fairly quickly have Actual Real Useable Sewing Products :))

Good luck, have fun, you can DEFINITELY do it and it's FUN,

Pat

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Depends on why you want to sew! If it is to save money then I would say it is not worth it. You would definetly do better going to Goodwill and finding clothes.
If you want something custom made and it certain colors then sewing your own is nice. I have a lady from church who is teaching me how to make clothes for my daughter. But I have never attempted to make any for myself.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If using a pattern follow every direction (even if they do not make sense @ first) in order. So often I thought I could do it better my way. It really taught me alot when I followed them. Start with simple things. Also I find a lot of great fabric @ Salvation Army and Goodwill stores. Have fun!:)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I started sewing when I was five. My mother sewed most of our clothes and many of her own. My sister and my brother learned to sew. Patand chickens advice is just what I would say. Simplicity used to have very good easy patterns. As tempting as it might be to try something fancier, stick with easy stuff at first.
You might also ask around to find someone who would be willing to help you out, should you get stuck. Even seasoned sewers get stuck on something sometimes and ask each others advice.
Sewing your own clothes is not always cheaper. Nowadays I only sew something for myself, if I want it for a special occasion. I used to sew a lot of my daughter's clothes, because I enjoyed it and because we both liked the fact that her clothes were unique. For everyday clothes I shop at second hand stores.
Nothing beats the feeling of having made it yourself and knowing nobody has one like it. :celebrate

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I agree with all that has been said. I used to sew a lot, many of my own clothes, but it is no longer cheaper. You can get great stuff on clearance for less than the price of the buttons, sometimes!

But the skill comes in handy, and there are many things that you can save a ton of money on by sewing yourself. Some of the things I've sewn in recent years that saved me a bundle:

Polar fleece horse blanket liners....my cost, $26, their's of similar quality, $99.

Dog coats, really nice ones that actually fit!

Feminine products for a fraction of the cost.

Window treatments, a designer look for very little money.

Very nice table cloths and cloth napkins.

An emergency goat blanket made from an old mattress pad and some scrap denim. Got an old pet goat through one more winter.

Pillow covers, easily removed for frequent washing, from really nice fabrics.

An absolutely gorgeous shower curtain.

An absolutely gorgeous duvet cover.

Wonderfully warm fleece hats, hats, hats and scarves.

And more that I can't think of now!

When I was a teenager, me and my sibs had to buy our own school clothes with money we earned working for local farmers in Maine. I wanted a horse, so I made my own clothes. Most of my fabric came from bigger clothing that was in great condition and that I could cut enough cloth from. I even made tanks and t's from turtlenecks with stained sleeves or stretched out collars. I was never that good at tailoring, but I did learn to take a pattern from a piece of clothing that fit me especially well.

I hope this gives you some ideas. I will suggest that you start with something simple, with straight lines and no buttons or zippers, to get started. Cloth napkins or a simple shopping bag are a great start. An apron, an elastic waist skirt or pants as suggested. Then work up to a simple invisible zipper and maybe some buttonholes.

Just go for it, there are plenty of people here to help if you get stuck....but better yet, find a retired older woman, especially a lonely one, who will LOVE to teach you!

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would start with reading the sewing machine manual and taking the time to practice the stitching and cleaning and re-cleaning the machine first. I believe most of my problems with sewing have come from not knowing how to clean and adjust a machine properly.
Get yourself comfortable with moving fabric safely (watching where you are putting your hands/fingers), maintaining the edge of fabric along the guides near the foot of machine and getting used to the pressure required to move your material at a comfortable speed.
The first project I would suggest is something with a running straight stitch, like curtains. Then I would move on to a pattern that says "simple" or "beginner" on it.
Good luck,
Lin

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I just recently learned how to sew. Like you, it was something I never learned as a young girl.

So far, I have done pretty easy things, mostly for birthday gifts. I have saved alot of money making aprons, turning jeans into purses and placemats into purses.

The only clothes I have done so far is a pair of pajama pants for my 18 year old son. I bought a flannel sheet at goodwill for $2 to make them out of. They fit & he likes them. I plan on doing some pajama shorts for me out of other sheets I have bought there. I hate paying alot of money for pajamas.

Several websites (I think both McCalls & Singer) have free sewing tutorials. I bought a $70 Brother sewing machine at WalMart which came with its own tutorial DVD (very helpful).

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
When you are ready to buy a pattern for clothing be very accurate with your measurements. Don't buy a pattern based on the size label of your bought clothes. I wear a store size 8 or 10 dress and pants but will buy a size 12 or 14 pattern based on the measurements. Some pattern brands run small so always check the measurements. Ask the clerk for help.

Try your county extension office, home economics dept for a list of classes offered because they might have beginner sewing classes. JoAnn's has classes.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I think the three biggest *practical* benefits of sewing your own clothes are:

1) you learn how clothes are constructed, so you can effectively repair, alter, or convert storebought garments to something else altogether;

2) you can make things that you just can't BUY commercially (like the kind of flappy 'dress-up' pants that I like, or the kind of long-sleeve t-shirt I like) (or if you are asymmetrical or not proportioned the way commercial makers require you to be proportioned); and

3) it *is* cheaper than buying clothing *when* you come across some good fabric, which still can happen, although I don't mean buying stuff at fabric stores.

What sylvie says about measuring is REALLY important, and you will want a second person to help you take your measurements as it is quite hard to get some of them totally accurate singlehanded.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat