Natural Swimming Pools?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a positively fascinating way for people like me to still be able to swim in a pond. I totally get freaked out when I'm swimming and something brushes up against my leg and I can't see it. The water in the article looked SO clear. Do you think you would need a seperate water source for stock too or do you think you could use this concept in a stock pond?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I myself don't really mind swimming with stock, but I am going to have a seperate duck pond if I do this. But how will you keep wild ducks out of it? I have lots of mallards that come to visit my wild bird feeders...they eat the left overs on the ground. :) I guess with a pool like this you will have to accept visitors. :p

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the looks of the skippyfilter wifezilla posted. That filter is remarkably similar, in function at least, to the bio-sand filter I have planned for the potable part of our rainwater system.
http://www.biosandfilter.org/biosandfilter/index.php/item/330
Definately more simple and I'd have to see what the water quality is like. Drinkable, I doubt, but close?

Wifezilla, have you had the water in your duck pond tested?

And the skippy lets me have the waterfall I wanted.
I definately don't know enough about ponding to say whether it would work for stock as well, although I don't see why it wouldn't.
Ducks & geese probably would be fine with it, cows may step on/mess up the arrangement around the filter.
The pond/swimming hole I plan on making will also be the main cistern for our rainwater system. I plan on having a smaller tank, enough for 3-4 days, maybe 500 gallon or so, high on a pedestal to provide some gravity feed for water running into the house. There will be an alternating sand filter that feeds into the secondary cistern. It should help tremendously that the water in the main area will be as clear as possible before feeding to the secondary cistern. If I go with this, the water coming in the house will be bio-sand filtered twice.
Whee!
I'm paranoid about snakes in my area aidenbaby. I almost jumped into a nest of water moccasins when I was much younger and it haunts me to this day. Seeing the water so clear is what really turned me on to this.

So lets see, Skippy filter, Huge hole packed down & lined with clay, solar powered water pump, maybe 2, plants for the edges, deck or steps for entrance, pizza & beer for bribery, er labor :D I can do this! One step at a time though.

kohburn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
the problem with ducks is the wonderful little packages they will leave in the pool and the risk of bacteria that could make you very sick.

that artical talked about keeping babies and dogs out of the pool to avoid fecal matter.

check out this company

http://www.biotop-gmbh.at/

the biotop pools that use non plant based filtration also interests me as its very similar to grey water purification methods.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
We have that problem up here at all of the local lakes designated for swimming. The posted signs say just towel dry immediately or shower and you should be fine.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Honestly, if I had a pond or pool to swim in I would want an outdoor shower anyway. Then, everyone rinses off outside before anything else.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kohburn said:
the problem with ducks is the wonderful little packages they will leave in the pool and the risk of bacteria that could make you very sick.

that artical talked about keeping babies and dogs out of the pool to avoid fecal matter.
Okay, yeah, fecal matter would prob be an issue if used as a stock pond. I did go swimming in a few stock ponds when I was smaller. I'm still alive thankfully. Actually learned to swim in a huge stock pond, maybe 2 acres in size.

Fecal matter shouldn't be a problem in my setup, I don't have dogs or babies to keep out, but I am thinking about ducks. The ducks would need a seperate area then, with their own small pond.

Thanks for that site too, thats a great variety of options.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Wifezilla, have you had the water in your duck pond tested?
Tested? My ducks swim in it daily. I don't want to know :gig

But in all honesty, it doesn't stink, the ducks are healthy, and a particularly fast feeder fish I put in there months ago as a snack for the ducks has been living in it. I didn't KNOW this until I was suctioning out some sediment and it darted out from under the waterfall and scared to half to death!

Here is my set up. Of course, on the day this photo was taken I had just taken the weed wacker to the pond edge and it is full of grass...LOL (That's me on the right teaching my friend's daughter how to bribe ducks with worms)
pondlro.jpg