Need Advice Ulcerative Colitis diagnosis

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Both Chuck & I enjoy Mexican food the most (even better than Italian) ... and both are loaded with carbs! Do I even have to give up my tortilla chips too? Guacamole will never be the same if I can't have chips with it! Bye-Bye to Enchiladas, Soft Tacos... and the like. Ugh!
We eat Mexican food all the time... instead of tortilla chips I use sliced jicama. If you slice it really thin and pile it high with taco filling, you have a tostada of sorts :D Taco salad with jicama pieces instead of Doritos is da BOMB.

You aren't going to make the adjustment overnight, but it is doable. After all, with Mexican food, the really important part is the meat, cheese and sour cream anyway!

Jicama and cucumbers are my replacement "chips" and tastes awesome with queso dip. I made buffalo chicken dip yesterday and had that with jicama and cucumber slices.

As for a muffin/biscuit/bread replacement, I don't use commercial mixes. They are 1) expensive and 2) full of weird ingredients and 3) taste like cardboard. Instead, I use this basic "pancake" recipe and doctor them up depending on what I am eating them with...
http://www.nourishingdays.com/2010/07/fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes/

Top them with strawberries and fresh whipped cream for strawberry shortcake. Add jalapenos and some organic corn for "corn bread". Add fresh herbs for a focassia bread substitute.

I have been low carbing and avoiding wheat, soy, and processed corn for over 3 years. It has helped with a LOT of issues I was having including high blood pressure, prediabetes, rosacia, gum disease, obesity, etc... The food is delicious and nutritious though there is a period of adjustment. Carbs are addictive and you will have withdrawal symptoms.

Like freem, I have experimented, read read read read, and slowly healed all the damage done to me by modern living.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
anyone can do anything---it just comes down to how bad you want it :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Use Bobs Red Mill Masa Harina to make tortillas for your mexican food!
At our Natural food store, we can buy 25 pounds for $30.

Garp94

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't remember where I read this, but it may increase your willpower to not eat things bad for you:

"Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels"

good luck

P.S anyone know of a good paleolithic diet cookbook?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Garp94 said:
I don't remember where I read this, but it may increase your willpower to not eat things bad for you:

"Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels"good luck

P.S anyone know of a good paleolithic diet cookbook?
first :welcome
and second, that is sooooo true!!!! Just recently becoming aware of beign gluten intolerant, I can soo reltat to this. I look at all the foods my family eats, and i just ask for commentary. the gain is not worht the pain.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi All,

My first post. So very glad I found this forum. I have been skulking in the background for weeks. I'm really impressed with how much you have learned. And the fun!

Freemotion, I'm interested in your comment about sprouting/germination inhibitors being very irritating to the stomach. Can you point me towards more information on that? I used to work in a garden center many years ago, and we sold "Bar Sprout" to keep home grown potatoes from sprouting. Back then, I never knew (or knew enough to care) what was in it.

Thanks for the wonderful forum!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Jumping in here to give you a hug :hugs and a welcome :welcome

I know that it sounds darn near impossible right now, but it is completely do-able AND enjoyable....but it will take a little time to get there.

The first thing that I would recommend, based on our experience, is to not try subbing gluten foods just yet. First is to get rid of all gluten...base your meals around simple whole foods

Eggs/ omelets/ bacon/sausage/ smoothies for breakfast

salads for lunch ( add chicken or tuna or hard boiled eggs for protein) dress your salad in extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed preferably) and the vinegar of your choice...no commercial dressings.

Dinners keep simple....meat and a cooked veg or two with maybe a salad. Grilled meat, roasted meat, braised, pan seared whatever. Use fresh herbs, butter (unless you are avoiding casein) and EVOO. Same goes for your veggies...bake, roast, steam, grill.....season with EVOO and lemon or a splash of vinegar ( no white vinegar).

Snack on nuts, berries, raw veggies, hardboiled eggs etc.

After you get used to not eating those foods that you are addicted to ( I was right there too!) then start testing out some gluten free foods/ mixes. Once you have done without pasta for a couple weeks, you will
be more accepting of a new slightly different version of it. I love gluten free pancakes...the mix I use tastes a little corn breadish and is relish with maple syrup!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Hi All,

My first post. So very glad I found this forum. I have been skulking in the background for weeks. I'm really impressed with how much you have learned. And the fun!

Freemotion, I'm interested in your comment about sprouting/germination inhibitors being very irritating to the stomach. Can you point me towards more information on that? I used to work in a garden center many years ago, and we sold "Bar Sprout" to keep home grown potatoes from sprouting. Back then, I never knew (or knew enough to care) what was in it.

Thanks for the wonderful forum!!
Hi! So tired tonight....sorry....just go to www.westonapricefoundation.org and put "phytates" in the search. Let me know how it goes... :p

Latest posts