Need ideas for tables.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I agree. Got any extra doors laying around that you aren't using?

Doesn't have to be fancy, just throw something together, who cares?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oy! this is soooo frustrating! You all are coming up with great ideas. My only problem is I don't have the materials you're suggesting to use. (sigh). You have no idea how much I wish I had some barrels, cinder block, anything I could use to just lay these pieces of plywood across. But we don't use 55 gallon drums for our trash anymore. We've got these plasic bins that waste managment provided. They're on wheels and about chest high to me (I'm 6' tall). So those are no use to me either.

I'll keep googling, I've got an idea in mind, re my comments about using strips of plywood screwed together to make legs. I'm just not sure how narrow I can get away with and still be sound enough to display things on.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Can you lay the trash cans on their sides.

Or use household trash cans.

Or chairs (upright or on their sides)

Or cardboard boxes.

This needn't be fancy or "right". It just needs to, more or less after a fashion, WORK. (Again, don't discount just laying things on the ground).

Pat

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I don't know where in the house the sales will be but in an unfinished garage or basement you can screw some of those 2x4 chunks to plywood that has been ripped in half and suspend from ceiling trusses by wire or 2" wide strips of paneling, keep up against wall so they don't swing.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can't trust stuff on the ground, had a flood 3 weeks ago.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If the floor is clean enough to let people walk on, it is clean enough to set lamps and blenders and such on. Put down a clean sheet or some cardboard first (opened out boxes) if you really really want.

Don't overcomplicate it, that just delays things. It really doesn't take much to simply hold a sale -- the only actual work is sorting what's to be sold, and then puttin' it where people can see it.

Pat

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I repeat....The bulk of the sale will be in the basement. 3 weeks ago, we had such heavy down pours every house in my nieghborhood got water in the basement. I had 12 inches myself. The only stuff I'm leaving at ground/floor level is bulk items such as yarn and other things that I have alot of, and that stuff is all in rubber maid totes just in case.

Folks, I don't mean to whine or such. Nor am I trying to over complicate things. I believe in the "KISS" method of doing things as much as possible. But since I have no family in the area, and my "friends" are less then reliabe, so I have to be prepared that I'll be running the sale on my own. As discussed elsewhere, stuff has a tendency to grow legs, something I can ill afford to have happen. So this is why I'm not utilizing back yard, garage, and other places in order to hold sale.

I am however kicking myself for selling ALL the lumber that I did. Had I thought about it in advance I could have slapped together some legs on each of the four sheets of plywood I have, and been done in an hour or two.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
You have a kitchen table, don't you?
End table, display cupboard, bedside stand?

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Use those rubbermaid totes. Clothes baskets. 5 gallon buckets. Paint cans.
Call the grocery store in the AM and ask them to save you some heavy duty fruit boxes with lids. These would support a plywood table and misc items if you use one on each corner.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Jaxom said:
I repeat....The bulk of the sale will be in the basement. 3 weeks ago, we had such heavy down pours every house in my nieghborhood got water in the basement. I had 12 inches myself. The only stuff I'm leaving at ground/floor level is bulk items such as yarn and other things that I have alot of, and that stuff is all in rubber maid totes just in case.
Ohhhhhh... wait.... <lightbulb>.... is your concern about the floor simply a matter of "don't want to set things up on floor ahead of time and risk another flooding at 3 am the night before the sale?

If so, just put the stuff up on something floodproof *for now* (in boxes, grouped according to how it will be displayed, in the locations where it will be displayed, all ready to spread out). Then go down there an hour or two before the sale starts and lay it out individually on the floor (on cardboard, if you are concerned about Floor Crud) so people can easily see it. Honest, I've set up an entire *large* garage sale from presorted arranged boxes within an hour, you can do this.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat