Need ideas for using truckloads of wood chips and sawdust?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So tomorrow I have a friend who is dropping off two dump truck loads of wood chips. I have no clue what all to do with them. If nothing else, they can rot and make some great soil eventually. Then I can go get all the sawdust I want/need whenever through another friend. I do have plans to clean out the chicken coop and put some chips down in there, and the goat shed. I also can mulch my flower beds and around trees, and some of the garden woth them, but two dump truck loads is A LOT! Any more ideas? I thought maybe start some hugelkulture beds too?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sawdust can be used to amend garden soil for growing requirements. Or you can just mulch with it. I used some as bedding but I got Coccidia started, so be cautious with that

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Send some to me!!!

I'd mulch everything in sight and keep a nice pile for mulching the summer garden. Big fan of mulch here. Deep litter in all critter pens. We use wood chips as mud control in high traffic areas, or they could be weed control on pathways, etc in the garden. I know the hugelkulture is the big new thing, you could look into that and see. Two truckloads would go fast around here, but we have a fair amount of critters and an overabundance of mud.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also have to be careful with using them in the garden if they are fresh as they can rob nitrogen from the soil/plants.

I suggest you send the swadust to me, I can use it in the sawdust throne! :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey that's a GREAT idea in the high traffic areas! We have lots of mud too.

Buff, I'd never use sawdust with the chicks, I meant the big chickens coop. They stay on shavings anyway, chips can't be too much different. I won't use the sawdust due to respiratory issues with the birds.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shovel it into 50-lb chicken food bags (you save yours, right?) And sell them for a couple dollars each on Craigslist (half the cost of the store). Great way to make some money!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
DianeS said:
Shovel it into 50-lb chicken food bags (you save yours, right?) And sell them for a couple dollars each on Craigslist (half the cost of the store). Great way to make some money!
Of course I save mine! ;) That is a good idea too, thanks!

You all are SMART :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i need mulch for my front bed...ill happily come take a couple of trashbags full if theres some left :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do you know what kind of wood it is? You need to be careful if you sell it on CL and have horse owners wanting to buy it for their stalls. If it contains black walnut, it can cause a horse to founder.