Need some SS ideas

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
What's a serger?
They look like this... it creates an overlock stitch on seam edges while simultaneously trimming the excess seam allowance... almost all store-bought clothes will have sergered (is that a word... lol) seams.

14T967.jpg

Edited because I'm an idiot and forgot the picture :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
They are awesome! I got to use one in a home ec class once......ooooooooo aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh :drool

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I live in a suburban/urban area on 3/4 of an acre. I am fortunate to have livestock (chickens, yay!) but I am always looking for SS skills :D

*breadmaking
*homemade food
*canning
*rain barrels
*soapmaking
*crocheting, sewing
*make detergent
*cheese making
*drying herbs
*dehydrating
*potatoes in a bucket

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Detergent. I think I threatened my fiance with homemade laundry detergent. And I don't remember violent resistance. :gig I usually don't use detergent when I wash clothes (shhh...!). But since he buys the expensive no scent/no dye stuff, maybe that should go on my list.

The main thing stopping me is I have no idea WHAT the stuff on the ingredient list is or how to get it! Help?

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Detergent. I think I threatened my fiance with homemade laundry detergent. And I don't remember violent resistance. :gig I usually don't use detergent when I wash clothes (shhh...!). But since he buys the expensive no scent/no dye stuff, maybe that should go on my list.

The main thing stopping me is I have no idea WHAT the stuff on the ingredient list is or how to get it! Help?
I use a dry recipe:

1 cup borax ( I buy mine @ Target or Meijer)
1 cup washing soda (I buy mine @ Target)
1 cup grated fels naptha (Kroger or soapsgonebuy.com)
1/2 cup baking soda (everywhere)

Just type in "laundry soap" into the search box and you'll get lots of ideas :thumbsup

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I know u said no livestock BUT. People in the city manage to keep a few hens for eggs and you should be able to try it. Bees are good to btw.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have some ideas!

My brother is visiting as he is interested in SS also. we chatted and he gave me some ideas (some are totally my ideas.) :D

Make wooden spoons. I hate the cheap "chinese" spoons for sale. I know what I want and realized I have the skills and most materials to make one. I would want a hand plane, and my parents have 2, so I can borrow one.

I want to dream up a gravity-fed automatic watering system for the rabbits. Filling their water bottles is the most tedious part of taking care of them. Running a hose into a 5 gallon bucket every other day? I can handle that. I wonder if there is a way to make a winter-proof system. (and figure out how to fill a resevoir without the hose!)

I don't remember the rest, but I'm sure we'll talk soon and have more ideas.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I learned how to sharpen kitchen knives with a steel. I need to practice. I also want to practice sharpening them on the bottom of a mug (unglazed ceramic) because SHTF, what if I don't have a steel. I could see steels being in high demand, but there sure are A LOT of coffee mugs out there and I don't see why people would suddenly be snapping those up!

I should get and learn to use and sharpen a straight razor. See SHTF hygiene thread.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've made the piping "frame" for an automatic watering system for the rabbits. I just got the special-order pieces today so I'm hoping for decent (50 degrees?) weather to go out ot he shed and dry-fit everything in place.

I think I can winterize it. My brother is giving me a submersible heater for a bucket. I'll wait to find a 30' heat tape at a good price. And then insulation.

The last of my 2010 rabbits sold at a lower price than I expected, so I didn't have enough money to do the heated system this year. I'm hoping for good sales in spring to finish it off.

The pizza making has been a success so far. The bread making is OK. I need to be consistent at both - a hard thing for me to do (being bipolar and all).

I did make detergent and I've been using it. I can't tell any difference between it and Purex that we've been using. I haven't found a reliable source for washing soda. I hope I find one before I run out of the homemade stuff! I don't want to buy detergent now that I know how EASY it is to make it!

We have been buying less meat lately - eating venison, rabbit, and fish. (Woot!) My fiance is going hunting the next 2 weekends and I'm hoping for another deer for the freezer. He has tags for 3 but the chance of getting three is so utterly remote. :rolleyes: (Unless he goes hunting in my parent's front yard, lol)

Baby steps here. I'm going to go back and re-read some of your ideas here and look for winter projects. I have quite a collection of wool by now and I need to get my butt moving and process some of it. If nothing else I should sell it. (Might pay for the rest of my heated watering system??)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad to hear things are going well.

For the washing soda I believe there is a product sold for swimming pools called PhDown that is the same. I am not totally sure but if you find the laundry soap thread or ask someone will know for sure.

g