Needing to collect some TIPS

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It seems when I decided I needed to simplify my life and look at being more self-sufficient is when my life really started to get hectic. The harder I look for ways to slow down, the faster the pace seems to get. Can you relate?

I promised to help put together a booklet on "Simple Tips for Simple Living." The project needs to be done NEXT WEEK, and I had totally forgotten about it until yesterday. :ep

Tips can include things under these topics and more:
Stress reduction
Organization
Being frugal
Time-savers
Quality time with loved ones
Rest & relaxation
Balance in all areas of life
Going "Green" ideas
Faith

If you have some tips to share, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :thumbsup

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Being frugal- for me frugal is really just prioritizing WANTS and NEEDS. So often we get caught up with our wants that we lose sight of the difference.

Time-savers- Planning ahead is a big help, especially if you are cooking form scratch. So many people say that they do not have time to cook from scratch but if you plan it out and write out a menu it helps. Also staying a step ahead, if you want to cook from scratch you need to be thinking about it early in the day, not at 4PM!

Quality time with loved ones- Make your SS way of life a family project. Kids like to be outdoors helping. Garden together, build things together, tackle projects together but keep it fun.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here are just a few of the random tips I've collected. :)

- Plan large weekend meals so you can have leftovers during the week.
- Spend less than your income.
- Extra money from bonuses, tax returns, rebates, and gifts should go toward paying off debts before spending on entertainment and pleasure items.
- Dont create more debt than you can pay off each month.
- Set goals and stay committed.
- Creating a memory doesnt have to cost a dime.
- Line dry your clothes prolong the life of the garment and improve their smell.
- Stick to your shopping list while in a store.
- Baking soda down the drain is an easy freshener, but baking soda with vinegar is a frugal drain cleaner.
- Fill your living space only with the things you love. All other additions are just clutter.
- Buy only those things that will have long life and multiple uses.
- Have a savings goal the whole family can work together on.
- Set a bedtime routine for your kids and yourself.
- Buy only the basics within your budget. Have the kids save their own money to purchase brand names or other wants outside the family budget.
- Set the rule to only give the kids free toys on Christmas and birthdays. Teach them to save and buy their own the rest of the time.
- Avoid convenience food traps while traveling and pack a cooler full of wholesome foods.
- The time you take to stop and really listen to your family and friends is never wasted time.
- Reuse milk jugs by cutting the tops off for funnels and using the lower part with handle for a bucket.
- Create boundaries for your kids.
- Keep house rules simple and consistent.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The biggest goal we are setting this year for our kids is to teach them about money that our parents never taught us. I am reading "rich dad, poor dad" and other books. I am learning a lot.
I shop a season in advance. The only purchase I made for this coming school year was a pair of tennis shoes and 1 pair of pants. All the rest was bought last year at 50-75% off, my kids wear name brand for what I would pay at Walmart prices. I already have next summer covered again at 75% off.
This one is basic, but I buy all tags, wrapping paper at the end of season.
Also all birthday gifts, and Christmas presents are bought all year long and put away in a box in the closet, however I do wait until Oct/Nov to buy their main gift to make sure its what they still want and current.
Vacation in the off seasons for huge savings.
I started my quest for simpler living while I was in my twenty's when my Mom gave me the tightwad gazette series books. Most of them were off the wall but I made them my own and used what worked for me. Check them out at the library they will give you a lot of "TIPS".
I am sure I am missing a lot but my kids want to go to the library, I will think of more later :D

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One way my family has learned to be frugal and I guess "green" is to limit our trips to town. We make a list of everything we have to have and try to go only once a week. This saves on gas and keeps emissions down.

Also you really have to ponder on your "wants" and your "needs" in everything. This is very hard to do sometimes, especially with children.

Also my kids only get something (toys) on their birthdays or christmas. This is how I was raised and thankfully it has stuck with me.

All of your tips are great ones Becca!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Stress reduction
Organization
Being frugal
Time-savers
Quality time with loved ones
Rest & relaxation
Balance in all areas of life
Going "Green" ideas
Faith

Here are my ideas on some of these:

Stress reduction Chickens, nothing helps me unwind more than watching the girls "play"

Organization Prioritize, Make a list of what you want to accomplish and set goals for getting completion. Keep the items and dates/goals realistic. Track your progress.

Being frugal A lot of these tie into the "Going green ideas", but mainly learning that there is a lot of things that we may want, but don't actually need. Once something is paid for, we use it to it drops, and then perform CPR and try to use it some more.

Time-savers We cook extra and freeze in microwavable (bad word) containers.

Quality time with loved ones Find a hobby or an activity that the family can enjoy together. For us it is Amateur Radio and the gardens. Never forget to take time off and just be together.

Rest & relaxation In the summer, we set aside (most every day) the last half hour of daylight to sit on the porch and watch the Lightening bugs. Sometimes we watch our "light show" well after dark. Also, see "Stress Reduction".

Balance in all areas of life Ok, we really haven't learned this one too well either.

Going "Green" ideas Gardening, composting, using fans more than the A/C, using washable napkins at meals and for spills, using natural light as much as possible, consolidating trips in the vehicle and using the electric golf cart (solar charged) instead of the gas powered equipment around the property when we can, collecting and using rain water as much as possible, using grey water and the condensation water from the A/C. Many more little things, but they add up.

Faith Always working on this one, but mostly by appreciating the beauty in creation and the blessings that we have been giving.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
It seems when I decided I needed to simplify my life and look at being more self-sufficient is when my life really started to get hectic. The harder I look for ways to slow down, the faster the pace seems to get. Can you relate?

I promised to help put together a booklet on "Simple Tips for Simple Living." The project needs to be done NEXT WEEK, and I had totally forgotten about it until yesterday. :ep

Stress reduction

:gig Do not sign up for extra projects! :gig

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
:gig Do not sign up for extra projects! :gig
HaHa Yes, I'm just a girl who can't say no. Besides, I thought it would earn me some extra hatching egg money. :plbb

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Becca,

I have some great ideas on "teachable moments" with children. I also have tons of ideas for entertaining children in very ss ways, christmas crafts, crafts in general with children. Story telling, songs and games etc.

I have taught children to sew (ages 3-6) buttons, pillows and dolls. We always did a quilt to auction off at the silent auction.

So anything children, I can help if you want.