New chicks!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The power strip my incubator is plugged into got turned off sometime last week on Monday. Eggs were cold when I noticed. I turned it on and hoped. Eggs looked ok when I checked two days later.

So today was day 21. Silkies usually start hatching the day before but that didn't happen. However early this morning I had this little one hatch.
20230915_111341.jpg

I have 9 or 10 in there now out of 20 eggs. There are several visible pips and one was almost zipped when I last looked.

Looks like I may have a few blue partridge which is what I was going for. I also have a chance for some splash partridge as one of the roosters is a blue partridge and two of the hens in there are as well.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, so lucky they survived with heat off. .happy for you🥰. Another pic of the fluffy butts?

Will these now go out with the silkie hens and be accepted?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll get some pictures later. I put 3 broodies from the pen the eggs came from in the broody coop. One stuck very well. One is on the fence about chicks, and the third was pecking at them. Third one went back into the pen. Hen number one has all but 4 of them. She was happy to take them. She's getting a bracelet to mark her as an excellent broody. She's a first time mom, too.

2 chicks are in hobbles and will go out tomorrow. One is the last hatched and the final chick I just took hobbles off of. Want them on the flat foam for right now.

So yeah the lack of heat affected the hatch pretty bad. This is the worst hatch I've ever had.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Regular partridge on the darker ones. The lighter ones will be blue or splash partridge.

The chicks still in the bator.
20230916_173258.jpg

Some of the chicks with the mama. Both hens are talking to them. It's just a little warm for some them to be under her. There were some heads peeking out.
VideoCapture_20230916-174640.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Second hen settled overnight. I really didn't give them much time because I couldn't get Molly to move downstairs. Most hens need a couple days and I only gave them one. Except the one who immediately took the chicks. She'd only been in there an hour because I'd moved the wrong hen and didn't realize. Hence the bracelet to mark her for future chick needs.

I removed hobbles and everyone was standing fine so out to the broodies they went. Got pecked for my troubles. I had a yelling chick in my hand and needed punished.

Got to love my silkies. If they have chicks they want more. And they love to co-parent with friends. I had a hatch went on over a week because I'd removed eggs from 3 nests. That hen was looking forward to my first visit everyday I swear. She wanted more chicks.