New season prepping and planting

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What are you all doing to prepare gardening wise and planning to grow this spring/summer?

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I closed on my land just in the nick of time to start a garden. It's a smaller garden this year. With work and just moving in I simply don't have the time to do a large garden.

But I did manage to get cucumbers, spinach, a few ghost pepper and habanaroe plants as well as a few tomatos and I'll be putting in sweet corn and green beans sometime this month.

I picked up a dozen two year old asparagus roots and put them in their own bed. And planted a couple raspberry bushes as well as strawberries out front.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I finally sewed the peppers, now :fl I put 8 seeds in, thinking optimistically if they all grow, that will be enough to keep me in peppers. The rest of the tub garden is looking fantastic, except the newest potato tub that is yet to show signs of growth. I may toss and replant that one. The other potato tub is now full of compost (I started with it half full and topped it up as the plants grew).

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
After a wonderful warm, dry spell lasting 2 weeks I got a wonderful surprise this morning when I checked the trays. ALL the pepper seeds I planted are up! :weee

I put some tomato seeds in a few days ago and more potatoes. I think I'm done for now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Just some very quick pics, taken in-between rain showers today:

20160613_162559.jpg

The peppers

20160613_162633.jpg

Potatoes, beans and strawberries

20160613_162616.jpg

The carrot tub and more strawberries. Look at the little fruit coming! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Jap beetles eating the spuds and young apple trees, so put up a trap from last year's bait. Within a half hour had an inch of beetles in the bottom of the bag. Gave those to the flock and they were quickly turned into tomorrow's eggs and poop. Will likely trap more each day.

Dusted the taters with sulfur dust for the beetles and slugs....saw some bloom on the taters. Also dusted the ground around the strawberries with sulfur for the tiny slugs that are eating the berries.

Planted more corn in the spaces where it failed to germinate last time when I planted it during cold weather...the first corn is knee high or better. Also planted more watermelon, lettuce, spinach, carrots and half runner beans.

Suckered tomatoes and picked strawberries, wove the tomato vines through the cattle panels.

Everything is looking green and seems to be growing well now and we are supposed to get a little rain all week and next week, interspersed with hot weather and sunshine, so the garden should grow well.

Cicada hatch is nearly over, so I uncovered the apple saplings only to find them covered with Japanese beetles, so if it isn't one thing it's another.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeze, haven't even got into my garden much yet. I have radishes, carrots, onions, a few spring pea plants so far. I want to find an area to plant some big vining crops - squash and pumpkins for the pigs and chickens - and for people use too. Zucchini for sure....green beans...okra...some beans/peas for dry use...

Lots of ideas for sure. Grandkids are here for spring break so I'll give them an area of their own to plant. They get excited about that!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This will be a season when I'm "lucky" to get anything planted, so it seems. Weather has been up & down. Several over warm days in Feb, plum tree bloomed. Cold in March, with wind storms. Small fruit sets gone! April warm then 3 days of 30-32 degree mornings, jarred young tree & veg leaves. Now rain past 10 days -- every day! -- too muddy to plow. :barnie
:idunnogarden when? Grass is growing , however. But, cool & rain ok for that, except warm weather grasses, so some pastures are still "on hold". Strange weather for many. I think most areas are in a turmoil. If you planted, unless they can swim, many plants would die off.

Grocery prices will be on the rise because the big commercial farms are having same type problems. It's going to be an interesting year, for sure.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I still have areas of my garden to finish getting ready. I had hoped to do it today, but it's going to rain, at least in the morning. However, if they're right and it clears up this afternoon, I may be able to do some work. That's one advantage to my soil, it drains fairly quickly. And basically, all I need to do is pull weeds. It's just going to take awhile since there's a ton of them.