akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you're set up, greenhouse & all 🥰. Yeah, greenhouse envy here. Would love a decent sized walk in but, I bought a cheap (on sale) zip up. Just wanted it to start plants. Room for more of them than the cold frame. Will assemble it in a couple weeks.

We love pictures.😁
I purchased a 9'8"×6'5" ×6'5" on Walmart for under 100 dollars. I also found 2 small ones at Tractor supply for the 2 of them I paid 50 dollars. End of the season sale. My husband bought me a water bath canner for Christmas and a dehydrater for my birthday. Now I just need to get a pressure cooker/canner.

akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IMG_20240115_114446.jpg

The potato I missed digging up last year.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:welcome from the western side of Va. Love potato plants... they just always look so "promising"....
Sounds like you are going to be well set up for gardening this year.

I have had a couple of the lighter weight greenhouses, and liked them... but the last one got demolished with the winds we have here on this ridge. Granted the winds were exceptionally gusty... but the frame was a joke. Going to get a "hard walled" polycarbonate one next... I am thinking about making the deck off the kitchen into a greehouse/sunroom type thing... I never use the deck...

akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome from the western side of Va. Love potato plants... they just always look so "promising"....
Sounds like you are going to be well set up for gardening this year.

I have had a couple of the lighter weight greenhouses, and liked them... but the last one got demolished with the winds we have here on this ridge. Granted the winds were exceptionally gusty... but the frame was a joke. Going to get a "hard walled" polycarbonate one next... I am thinking about making the deck off the kitchen into a greehouse/sunroom type thing... I never use the deck...
I would love to be able to walk out the back door straight into my green house but I am just happy having an advantage to get gardening earlier.

akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tomorrow I will get some pictures posted so everyone can see my yard. This morning my front yard had some small puddles. Tomorrow it will probably look like a small pond. My back yard will probably look like a small lagoon. Bringing my girls inside to protect them is no joke. They were soaked so bad that they couldn't even flap their wings.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You've got the rains coming in bad there. I don't think you can really build for predictable flooding when you're getting a few times annual rainfall in a few days.

you can, but it involves not building in flood plains or in spots where water might be funnelled through.

our location does get flash flooding, but that is because Mom was desperate and didn't do any research before buying this lot. luckily they did put the footings at grade and brought in some fill (because they had to out front for the septic drain field), but overall this place is way more complicated than it should have been - too many easements, can't use the full property because of the large ditches that go through or under it, power lines all over the place... ugh... :) it's still home.

akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Apparently our neighbor did something to his property and now we don't see as much water as before. But last night I looked out the bathroom window and could see the puddles up close to the back of the house. When you have 6 animals and your the only one home you kinda feel like oh crap.