akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got 4 new babies today. I got 1 each WL and BSL. 2 EE's. My 2nd to the youngest grandson wanted to feed them 🍟.
IMG_20240309_141513.jpg

akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aftwr they've been eating a while, making the chick food into a mash with warm water goes over well with chicks. Mine attack it when I give it as a treat.
At about what age can I give them the mash? I'm still learning about how to raise my chicks. Thank you

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At about what age can I give them the mash? I'm still learning about how to raise my chicks. Thank you

Anytime. I'd just wait until they are eating. It's the same food so no danger to them. Don't need grit like with other treats.

I just mix the warm water with the food so it's just slightly soupy and let it set a few minutes to soak up the water. Even my adults like the food like this. Might take a few tries to get it right. Can always add more water if needed.

I only give it as a special treat to the adults so they get excited. If the chicks are under a brooder plate instead of a hen I'll give them some once a day usually.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The wet mash is a good way to get more eggs in the cold winter... mix it with hot water, don't make too much, and they will clean it up and it helps to get more water into their system and is warm in the crop on top of it... Did it all the time up north with my purebred show birds to get them to lay better in the cold winter temps...