NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We may order a couple of additional Dominiques because we lost a few and most of them are related to our rooster now!

But the main mission is to get Dorkings! I'm so excited about these dang chickens. They sell out fast so I have to order next month. I can't find a local breeder so I have to go hatchery. I might get the Dominiques from a breeder though, a few of those around.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You'll have to share your Dorking experience with us. Have you had them before?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have not. I did hours of breed research last winter... Starting with the Livestock Conservancy website. We love our Dominiques but we want another breed to add in. I was sold on Dorkings because: they're an ancient rare breed, supposedly they are hands down the best flavored chickens, they're bigger than my Dominiques and they're supposed to be gentle and fairly mellow. We are really into heritage breeds!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had Silver Gray Dorkings and Red Dorkings - love them both. And, they do taste good and have a long full breast - not like those Frankenbirds - but really nice. I still have some hens, but no more roos. :(

A really great guy to buy some quality Dorkings from is Dick Horstman. I got my reds from him. I went ahead and got chicks from him for $6.00 apiece. He sells eggs for

$25.00 a dozen, but I chose to go with live birds.

horstmanspoultry.com/largefowlhome.html

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice thanks! I'll check that out. We are done with Frankenbirds! Even my husband, who was adamant about continuing doing them, is done.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well since we cleared out the meat birds that had been gnawed on (Yuck), the rest of them look good. No losses and no new bites. I've upped their feed to try to get them finished faster.

We still have all the pigs here. :he My husband is in the dog house for not calling this guy. It's been 3 weeks. This is ridiculous. I think he might be at the wedding we are going to this weekend but he better not be planning on waiting until then.

Trying to get ready for winter, although it's feeling pretty warm. It should be in the 70's by tomorrow. Then cold again, Sundays high right now says 48 degrees!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband at least called the guy who bought the pig and left a message.

Plus my husband is kind of a... Well he's kind of a hoarder. He keeps everything that might be useful someday. It's gotten a little out of control. We also have a pile of stuff that needs to be scrapped but we don't have a trailer. Today I got him to organize the scrap pile and he'll bring it this week with my parents' trailer. Woo-hoo! And there's some stuff we can sell, he's finally working with me here lol!

Poor husband now has to go bring in docks in the lake for some rich guy he works for. It was supposed to get warm today but it never did! So he will be cold!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha the guy he works with got in the water and my husband rafted the dock through the water. Lucky him!