NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yes our pigs eat tons of them! And my husband makes an apple mash for the meat birds too. Not this year, none of the trees have apples. Not the ones near the house anyway. We can't get to the other ones so easily!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sour? Do you mean very tart? Could be either, so I ask.

Yes, you can cook with them but will need way more sugar in some things. Also, try wrapping some in brown paper, store in dark, cool place & every month try them. They may sweeten with aging. Dehydrate a few, dried they may even taste better. Grandma used to thread the slices on some thin twine, hang & dry in the sun. Some netting will keep bugs off.

There's a possibility they will sweeten some if they are tended and even fertilized. Not an apple expert but, know it does affect some fruits. Maybe check it out on web for info.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting I'll have to keep that in mind as we figure out what on earth to do with them all. I haven't tried them, so I'm going by easy my husband said. So not totally sure, honestly.

Made spaghetti sauce, more applesauce and chicken pot pie today. I feel like all I did was cook all day! Moved the meat bird pens. All 36 we have left look awesome. No more blood, no one acting lethargic. The ones in the pen that 3 died are getting big fast. Apparently they had to get rid of the competition. I don't know... I hope for no more losses anyway!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks me too!

The guy we sold our pig to hasn't come to get her yet. I'm sick of feeding someone else's pig. My husband is going to call him tomorrow and try to get him moving along! We'll be butchering the other big pig in the next week or two, says my husband. (I'm not holding my breath, he moves slow too!)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Start charging him boarding fees for his pig.........

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We will if we have to... But he's my friend's father and he sells us hay for $1.50/bale so we will try the nice route first!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah she's absolutely not staying here very long. Full size pigs eat entirely too much food! And we need to butcher her sister ASAP too. She's at the right size, plus the little piggies are outgrowing their space so we need the big pigs' panels back.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can politely mention that HIS pig needs a sack of feed.