No Superstore Challenge

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You guys are hysterical!! :gig

I am noticing that when I started this thread I was having difficulty avoiding superstores. I went into Walmart this past week, I wasn't happy with their selection and I left without buying anything. Woot! It's getting easier to say "no".

I went to Kohls, Shopko, and Payless Shoes on the same day. Didn't buy anything. Left those stores with a plan to make my own winter boots somehow.

WINNING!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard of the Canton, Tx market. My Stepdad and Mom used to go down there every year. He's a wheeler dealer of all things cheap, lol and him and Mama are hoarders so they have a houseful of stuff that no one needs but at least he does earn a living do this. I like buying stuff cheap and I like to buy things used. Why put more stuff in the world? Reuse and recycle helps everyone.

We have a small town of around 3000 population so our Trade Days really help the local economy. It is an economically depressed area. Our local churches all have a food bank and other community outreach programs to help. Everyone is into bartering and helping out. One of my friends is bringing me over a deer shoulder this a.m. I love my little community.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Make a list and stick to it. Do you have Dollar stores in your area? Family Dollar or Dollar General are small, have the basics and are NOT a superstore.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We stopped shopping in the club stores because we were buying all kinds of things we wouldn't normally buy. Our grocery bills where thru the roof! And the packages were so big, that more often than not, half of the package would be wasted either because we couldn't eat it fast enough, or we got tired of eating it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In past I've posted no Aldi's here. Now some have opened & while not close, I was in the area of one yesterday & checked it out. Not somewhere I would go unless there anyway. Saw a couple good items -- 3# gala apples @1.69 & 10# russet potatoes @1.59. Had apples already & potatoes were small, so no buy. Did get 2# pkgs of dried beans @1.49 & Quinoa @2.49 per #. So, savings there but hit & miss, store not close. Did notice about 90% were store brands. If I needed sugar, flour, such basics, would be ok. Actually can find store brands local for similar price, not travel. Ethnic aisle has deals on spices!

We all try to save a $$. Older you get the more you find it a necessity if you want to reduce work hours. I just don't feel the need to spend a lot on clothes that are cheaply made & thrift stores work -- sometimes take a lot of time!
On YouTube I have seen some interesting things of late, some most of us already do but, some have a new twist to consider. We each have some different issues -- large family, only a couple or single at home, etc. Some sites had blogs about a "challenge" to eat as entirely as possible from their own garden, etc. :p There were a few chuckles there. But, ideas also. Planning to try out making a gal of wine & some copy-cat Bailey's Irish Crème from my viewings. LOL

My goats are a great dairy resource, chickens eggs & meat, pigs for meat, hopefully a good garden this Spring...canning jars are waiting! My bread machine gets used little but plan to be more so -- especially with chickens to help use stales. Need to use crock pot more.

Being here alone it doesn't take much. Daughter often comes home from work with a text to stop & get dinner on way :old

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I enjoy this thread, though I don't have much to add. Today I must say I am a big Aldi supporter. We have one not too far away and about the same distance as the other supermarket. I do 90% of my shopping at Aldi and visit the other supermarket only for products or specific brands that Aldi doesn't stock. And meat… I love the marked down products, especially in the meat section and the "buy any 3 for €10" mix and match offers at the other supermarket.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The best thing for keeping me out of the store-ANY store, not just a super store, is my garden. If I can go pick it or open a jar or take a package out of the freezer, then that is a trip not taken to the store.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH and I went to CA and were shocked to see hard liquor for sale in the grocery stores. It was Sunday morning and we asked a clerk if we could buy booze before noon and she looked at us like we were crazy....we had to explain that some states aren't quite as alcohol friendly as CA, lol!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was a kid Mama take us shopping and we hardly ever bought anything. She called it window shopping. I'd rather stay home than do any kind of shopping. If I do go it's for groceries or I try the resell shops in town. Also, once a month there is what they call First Saturday Trade Days. It's fun and you can find about anything there if you look. Many locals with yard sale type stuff, homemade tamales, egg rolls, bake sale goods, jellies, live chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, farm fresh eggs.

This month we got apples, sweet potatoes, eggs, a pumpkin pie, tamales and probably more stuff I can't remember. Visited with lots of local people. I never know what or if I will get anything. One time it was a $20 carpet cleaner another jeans for the Wildbunch or heavy denim coveralls for DH. I'm think about next month trying to sell pumpkin rolls.