Nuclear Evacuation Zones

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
You also need to take into consideration, the wind direction............
For fallout yes, but these are the typical evacuation zones around the plants if there were a serious radiation release. Typically they would just announce that everyone within a certain radius would be required to leave or to shelter in place.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Apparently I'm safe unless the wind is coming from the north/northwest. The closest one is 69 miles northwest from me. Interesting to look at anyway.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't think I'm near much out here.
A bit farther South could be interesting though. :hu
(Finally got this to open. ) There's a shut-down reactor 200 miles to the south. Don't think the winds will bring much this way. Jet stream comes from Northwest to south east...

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for the map. It was very interesting. There are none in my state. But in california, there is one. And it apears to be about 100-120 miles away from me. That is not good. But good to know.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
In one zone, close to a second. I'm now looking at the map of the road network to figure out what might be the best route to scoot quickly. The interstates are going to jam up quickly. hmmmmm.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
In one zone, close to a second. I'm now looking at the map of the road network to figure out what might be the best route to scoot quickly. The interstates are going to jam up quickly. hmmmmm.
It's even worse for me. I live in South Jersey. The only way out is either across the Delaware river, or north towards New York.

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We're within the 15 mile range from our closest.I don't plan on leaving.We will stay and use what we have.They have been showing on the local news how safe ours is.They get to keep it safe and I'll keep me and mine safe.I have a underground house with a inside drilled well.I need to know how long that water source will be good.This plant has been here since 1974.I don't fish anywhere near it but I still wonder how it could harm the water.I haven't research it but I wonder is there someway to "clean" the water of radiation?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
ThisOldCabin said:
We're within the 15 mile range from our closest.I don't plan on leaving.We will stay and use what we have.They have been showing on the local news how safe ours is.They get to keep it safe and I'll keep me and mine safe.I have a underground house with a inside drilled well.I need to know how long that water source will be good.This plant has been here since 1974.I don't fish anywhere near it but I still wonder how it could harm the water.I haven't research it but I wonder is there someway to "clean" the water of radiation?
Ok, here's my un-expert opinion on it.

Unless there's a way for the radiated particles to enter the aquifer, like some type of disposal well, the well water should be safe. Though I'm not as familiar with the different types of radiation produced by a reactor, as I am with a nuclear detonation,

Water, or food for that matter, does not become radioactive, but rather radioactive particles become suspended in the water or settle on the food as dust. If the dust doesn't somehow get into to the aquifer, then there will be no problem.

That is why a can of food, that has had nuclear fallout settle on it, can be washed off, opened, and the food safely consumed. At least that is what we were taught in the Service.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ThisOldCabin said:
The well be be good for as long as it takes for a meltdown to contaminate ground water.

Reverse osmosis is the best bet to get radiation out if it is not too terribly high.

The radiation from a reactor is far more dangerous than that from the bombs.

If its a 74 plant it is a dinasaur. This Japan thing is going to really wake people up to how unsafe the plants are and how poorly prepared they are to deal with emergencies.

Do you know how long your plant can keep cooling once power is out? in other words do you know how long their emergency back up system is good for? is it sufficient? even if a level 4 or 5 tornado came through taking out the grid in your area?

Is there alterntive cooling options? If so what are they? are they viable?

Do you understand what a melt down is and that currently in Japan the meltdown is causing groundlevel water contamininaiton for Tokyo, a city of 40 million people.

Does your plant have alternative power lines coming in?

Does your plant have access to tons of boron or cement?

Is your plant on or near a fault line?

Has your plant provided local residents with iodine?

What are the escape routes?

Where is your plant storing their spent rods?

Are they on site? How are they stored?

are you familiar with the foods and nutrients and chelation methods to detox radiaiton?

Do you have a geiger counter to check your food and water?

Do you understand that the correct geiger counter is likely too expensive for most people?

Do you understand that your government will likely lie to you about the severity of a leak or other malfunction at the plant?