NVBS (Are you curious?)

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
redux said:
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Millet especially, so cheap but SOOOOO good. It's fairly high glycemic index though, so it spikes the blood pressure a bit, but if you eat it with leafy greens it drops that spike a lot and evens it all out.
High GI foods spike blood sugar, not blood pressure.
Drrrr, sorry, brain fart. I'm sick as a dog right now, so I'm partially amazed I just ended up with complete sentences. Thank god I have people around keeping me from spreading too much stupidity. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
redux said:
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Millet especially, so cheap but SOOOOO good. It's fairly high glycemic index though, so it spikes the blood pressure a bit, but if you eat it with leafy greens it drops that spike a lot and evens it all out.
High GI foods spike blood sugar, not blood pressure.
Drrrr, sorry, brain fart. I'm sick as a dog right now, so I'm partially amazed I just ended up with complete sentences. Thank god I have people around keeping me from spreading too much stupidity. :lol:
Ultimately, spikes in blood sugar will lead to an unhealthy rise in blood pressure. You are really correct, ultimately, TLTL. You aren't spreading stupidity!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I second the quinoa suggestions. It
is a complete
protein, cheap and very versatile.

An easy idea is saute a bunch of
veg, remove from pot, add quinoa and water or veg stock (1 part q 2 parts
water) simmer 20
mins covered..... Fluff with fork and add veggies back in, stir to warm thru

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just be sure to rinse quinoa well, or it will taste terrible! However long you think you need to rinse it, rinse it a bit longer ! :p

Also, why was a certain word for passing gas changed to "wind"? I did not have a brain wind.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Just be sure to rinse quinoa well, or it will taste terrible! However long you think you need to rinse it, rinse it a bit longer ! :p

Also, why was a certain word for passing gas changed to "wind"? I did not have a brain wind.
You have to put some spaces in between those certain letters. :lol:

Honestly, I haven't had quinoa in my whole life! I'm guessing it is a grain?

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is a grain! An awesome grain. It is either ivory or red, generally. It has a bit of a nutty flavor when cooked. And best of all, it has a complete amino acid profile, so even eaten alone, it can result in full protein synthesis! :D Yay proteins. It also has the germ? bran? I can never remember which is which. Anyway, it curls away as this cute little tail after you cook it. I love using it for chicken and quinoa soup, the same way you would cook chicken and rice. When rinsing, you have to check for little pebbles though, some quinoa isn't sorted very well. I've never had problems though, it's usually pretty easy to do.

ETA: maybe I'll just start calling it a brain frat :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I soak my quinoa overnight with whey. Then I just drain it and cook it. by the time I am ready to use it, it has sprouted somewhat. Quinoa is a favourite around here. Use it as you would rice. My ds does not like rice , but he love quinoa.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For some reason, it has never occurred to me to soak quinoa. :rolleyes: How long do you need to cook it after it's been soaked? And how much water do you need then?