Organic Milk vs. Store bought????

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this (sorry if its not), but just wanted to get some input on Organic Milk? We are thinking of converting to organic milk as a family but have not completely researched it yet. We have 3 young children (ages 4, 2, and 5 mos), and want to make sure they are getting the best in the dairy department. What do yall think?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do you have a source for this milk where you can visit and inspect the dairy? If not, then there probably isn't much difference in the milks that you can buy from the store.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
barefootfarmer, are you thinking about getting milk that is raw (non-pasturized, non-homogenized)? Or processed milk from organically fed cows? I wonder if it is possible to get raw organic? Bet it would cost an arm-and-a-leg, tho.:(

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
We get raw organic milk from a local farm that we are a part of a buying club (only way to buy raw dairy in MD), and it is wonderful. I think we pay about $7.00 a gallon, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I can't stand to drink pasteurized milk anymore.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
We get raw organic milk from a local farm that we are a part of a buying club (only way to buy raw dairy in MD), and it is wonderful. I think we pay about $7.00 a gallon, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I can't stand to drink pasteurized milk anymore.
Wow... regular pasteurized store milk is $7.39/gallon here... we paid $4.50/pint? (it was a two cups) for goat's milk for Aeryn when she was first getting weaned from me, but now we just buy regular milk (however, our milk in Canada has different regulations and can't contain artificial growth hormones, or antibiotics).

We can't afford raw milk now, but if I had a choice that's what I would be drinking... ideally we'll be getting our own dairy animals.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Well, they are one of the largest organic dairies in the US. ETA: Take that for whatever you wish to.
It is probably better than nothing, but I would try to find a local supplier if possible. You might want to check www.rawmilk.org to see what is available in your area.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I found a source near me. And it's a great website, too.