OUR BIG SELL OFF 1st MONTH

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had decided less than a month ago to sell ALL non-esential items in our house to pay off the little debt we have left. Then it would only be the house to pay off.

Posting a ton of stuff on 3rd party forums, craigslist, local grocery walls, friends and ebay we have rasied enough money to pay over 2/3rd of our debt off. With still a TON of stuff to sell off in the house.

By the middle of next month we will have all debt payed off for sure. This took patience and commitment. Going through room by room we were amazed of all the stuff we have picked up over the yrs.

Next month we plan on doing a yard sale to raise money for 2 yrs worth of essential shopping. We looked at our last 2 receits and noticed 33-42% increase is most items. ARGH!!! Don't think this will go down anytime soon.

The problems we ran into:

Ebay fees are going up, paypal fees,and shipping is WAY UP!!. Be careful on shipping quotes. After my first round of selling I lost some money on under shipping charging people. I'm not a business so I am not investing in a scale. I do use USPS charts and ballpark it with 2 more for handling. Sorry but packing costs something. :(

Second problem I found my cats kept walking off with small items from peoples orders. MAKE SURE IT IS ALL THERE BEFORE YOU MAIL!! I had to repack 2-3 items because of the monsters. :)

My little one thinks I'm selling her next. :) NO WAY!!!

With all the extra room we are making I have more room for plants. Not really a problem :)

Just a share and hope this motivates others to SELL SELL SELLto be debt free!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan!! I have been boxing up "non essentials" for months...and putting them in the top of the barn...for a HUGH sale! This stuff has got to go! CONGRATS on paying off some bills...wow!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm working on a yard sale soon too :)

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just amazing what we all accumulate in life. WOW!! Good luck everyone and let the BIG SELL OFF BEGIN!! :) FREEEDOMMM!!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have so much stuff I don't even USE anymore I could fill a tractor trailer with all the clutter and junk. I has a lot o work to do :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good for you! it is money waiting to be made.

for me I don't have anything in the house to sell. I decluttered years ago and have only bare minimum in the home, and WoW do I love it. So easy to clean, open, airy space. Now the garage and barns, oh yea I could sell.

I got calf feeders, etc etc etc (to the max farm equip) but Tony wants to keep it all...ugh I see dollars in my pocket, he sees 'we might need them again' if we start the farm back up. Ugh

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What an encourage post! Thank you so much for sharing your tips, and your exeriences! 2/3's paid off.... that is AWESOME! I guess it's time to start getting serious about selling off my clutter; I have a student loan I would LOVE to pay off early :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most of my clutter is just piles of paper, no value in that--just needs to be organized and most of it shredded and recycled.

We de-clutter regularly, but have never profited from any items we've got rid of--we've always donated them to our church's annual giant garage sale.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have some things to get rid of. Just need to charge up the camera. Anyone need a body armor panel? :gig