peeling chicken feet

Garp94

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
How important is it to get all the skin off chicken feet before simmering to make broth?

I'm going to strain it, so i'm not worried about scales/particulate matter. I just don't know if there's something in the skin/scales that may affect the flavor.

I had saved several feet and want to make broth today. They didn't get skinned when i processed the birds, so i got a small pot of water boiling and submerged them. The feet are certainly hot to my hands but the scales are still not 'slipping' off as I expected. They've been boiled so they should be pretty clean, and i've gotten most of the outer layer off. I want to give up and just put them in the pot with the other bones i've accumulated, but i don't want to ruin it bec i'm too lazy to clean some toes.

????

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know that I've ever froze them and then scalded for skin removal, so that may be a factor in the difficulty. I'd scald them again in an attempt to remove all surface skin/nails, otherwise, one would have to bleach/scrub them to remove any germs and/or particulates?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My Chinese friend, that helps me slaughter, skins out the feet before she even plucks the birds :hu That's the only time I've seen it done. She wanted to help, so I'd give her the feet and innards.